Author Topic: Startup family in Freshford  (Read 469 times)

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Startup family in Freshford
« on: Friday 08 April 16 16:05 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone can help, i've come to a brick wall, trying to find the parents, and generaly work backwards from Thomas Startup.

Born circa 1797 in Freshford, Somerset. He was a tailor or sailor (the writings hard to read on the census!) He married Ann (same age but no further details) and they lived in Freshford, having two children. Thomas died before 1851.

The children are;
Mary ann Startup(1826–1901) who moved away between 1841-1848
William Thomas Startup(1830–1875) who moved away before 1851-1854

He is listed on the tithe map of Freshford 1837 but with very little info other that he is a a tenant to Harrison Hall.

I'm certain my facts are right - they appear on census etc. but i can't find anything to take me backwards from here on his line.

I've not been able to view his grave which might help - no response from the church and no luck searching.

Any help is appreciated.
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Startup family in Freshford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
This looks like his death

Death
Oct/Nov/Dec 1845
Bradford On Avon
Ref 8  163
Thomas Startup
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
Clearly a tailor in the register entries of his children's baptisms.

Could be the son of Thomas and Mary baptised at Freshford Feb 1796, born 18 Jan 1795.

Buried Freshford 23 Oct 1845, aged 43

(All from FreeREG)

David

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 16 19:02 BST (UK) »
thanks both - as your info seems to match (each other and what i already have) i'm guessing it's right, i couldn't find it myself though and can't see why - i checked FreeREG :/

i've found and checked lists of businesses and residents in freshford but couldn't find him on local records, odd as it's such a small area, full lists had only 10-20 people but no startups

thanks again both for taking the time to find and share this info - much appreciated and hopefully it'll get me started again xx
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.