Author Topic: Jane and Helen Leckie Brechin 1830-34  (Read 702 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Jane and Helen Leckie Brechin 1830-34
« on: Friday 08 April 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am struggling to sort out the sister's family.

The first sign of Jane Leckie is in 1851 Census in Benholm, Kincardineshire age 17, servant to a gamekeeper, birthplace is Brechin.  From this point on I have everything up until her death in 1920.

On both her marriage in Arbroath to John Paul an Old KP lad and her 1920 death her parents are John Leckie (shoemaker) and Ann Grant, both are deceased in both documents.  From her marriage and death her birth year would 1834. 

She probably is Helen Leckie's sister who married George Napier in 1858 (Montrose), their son married Jane's daughter in Old KP.  But what is throwing me the curve is Helen's parents are recorded as David Leckie (shoemaker) and Ann Grant.

Maybe these girls didn't know what their father's given names were but I found them both in the 1841 Census with Ann Grant so perhaps they are illegitimate as no baptism can be found. 

Now there is a David Leckie (shoemaker) who died of alcohol poisoning in 1858 the informant on his death is his son and his wife is listed as Ann Moir.  However, the 1841/51 census have her as Mary.  Could this be him, possibly divorced and remarried or am I grasping at straws.  I find no John Leckie, shoemaker.

There seems to be no OPR marriage/births for any of the parties mentioned.

Any ideas or should I simple go with father as John/David and be done with it.

Don 
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Jane and Helen Leckie Brechin 1830-34
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 16 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Don ,

Try JANE LAKIE age 6 on the 1841 Census(FreeCEN) , living High Street , Brechin.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane and Helen Leckie Brechin 1830-34
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ev, I have SP original Eve, the preceding page has Helen and Ann Grant.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.