Author Topic: Rev. Reginald Hampson Myddleton Bouth [21 January 1867 - 5 October 1955]  (Read 2112 times)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This chap was one of five sons of Frederick William Delamere Bouth [13 August 1835 - 30 May 1900] (Medical Doctor & Cotton Spinner). The father was born in Leigh, Lancashire. Reginald was Rector of Elkstone Church from 1893 – 1909.

I'm trying to find an obituary for Reginald, please.
(Generally, LEIGH, LANCS)

BOWDEN (Solicitors & Estate Agents)
ECKERSLEY (Cotton Spinners)
HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Reginald Hampson Myddleton Bouth [21 January 1867 - 5 October 1955]
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
Reginald Hampson Myddleton Bouth

Frederick William Delamere Bouth

Reginald's birth and death are shown as Booth but he married as Bouth

Frederick's death is shown as Bouth

1871 census is Booth

What is the correct spelling for the surname?

Probate for Reginald is Bouth - he left just over £64,000
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, Carol. I already have the information you kindly supplied and have an interesting response to your spelling query! Both spellings are correct! The following quote is taken from Frederick's obituary:-

"The deceased gentleman altered the name of Booth to Bouth with Delamere as a third Christian name, on discovering some years ago that he was a descendant of an ancient county family."

Reginald died in Cheltenham on 5 October 1955. I can't find an obituary, not even in the British Newspaper Archive, so I suspect I'm now clutching at straws!!

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline SandraD1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 April 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
I researched Reginald Bouth (Booth) re a potential link with my great grandmother Filia Quarta Jones (born 13/09/1881) who worked in Elkstone in 1909.
Couldn't find an obituary, but would be interested in seeing one if it exists.
I'm keen to see a photo or portrait of Reginald if one exists?

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 April 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
I researched Reginald Bouth (Booth) re a potential link with my great grandmother Filia Quarta Jones (born 13/09/1881) who worked in Elkstone in 1909.
Couldn't find an obituary, but would be interested in seeing one if it exists.
I'm keen to see a photo or portrait of Reginald if one exists?

Birmingham Daily Post 07 October 1955 presumably released recently...

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 April 19 10:02 BST (UK) »
Obituary transcription -

Obituary, Rev. R.H.M. Bouth (Birmingham Daily Post, 7 October 1955)

The death was announced at Cheltenham yesterday of the Rev. Reginald Hampson Myddleton Bouth (88), who was for many years prominently associated with the public life of the town and district particularly with hospital administration.

From 1893 to 1909 he was rector of Elkstone, near Cheltenham, a living in his mother's gift, and then retired from active clerical life to live at Battledown, Charlton Kings.

He was elected a life president of Cheltenham General Hospital in 1945, after he had been chairman of the management committee and honorary treasurer for more than 30 years. Last year the Cheltenham Group Hospital Management Committee named the eye, ear and throat wards after him, marking the fact that the opening of the block in 1937 by the Duchess of Gloucester was the crowning achievement of his work for the hospital. On that occasion the Duchess also unveiled a portrait of Mr. Bouth presented to him by the board of management, the medical staff, and others.

Mr. Bouth was chairman of Charlton Kings Urban Council for 17 years, retiring in 1934. He was chairman of Cheltenham magistrates from 1928 to 1939, and was a member for many years of the Gloucestershire County Council.

An officer of the Order of St. John, he was for a quarter of a century chairman of Cheltenham Ambulance Association and he was also president of the Cheltenham and District Nursing Association. He was for a long period a governor of Dean Close School, Cheltenham.

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 April 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
FASHIONABLE WEDDING. (Leigh Observer, 8 November 1895)

BOUTH—KEELING.

The marriage took place on Wednesday, at Christ Church, Cheltenham, of Miss Ida Mary Agnes, fourth daughter of Mr. G.W. Keeling, J.P., Cheltenham, to the Rev. Reginald Hampson Myddleton Bouth, M.A., rector of Elkstone, second son of F.W.D. Bouth, J.P., of Leigh, Lancashire, and the proceedings went off with considerable eclat. The church was decorated with palms and other plants from the nurseries of Mr. James Cypher, which made a pleasing environment to the wedding party, and the house of the bride's father had undergone tasteful decorative treatment at the hands of Mr. James, from Messrs. Shirer and Haddon's. The officiating clergymen were the Rev. Dr. C.V. Childe, assisted by the Rev. E.L.C. Clapton, vicar of St. Michael's, Wandsworth, brother-in-law of the bride and the Rev. E.L. Holmes, and the service was choral. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked very pretty in her dress of ivory white satin, trimmed with embroidered chiffon and orange blossom, and wearing a wreath and veil. She carried a choice shower bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom, and was attended by her five sisters—Misses Rose, Charlotte, Sabrina, Lily, and Ella—and Miss Bowle Evans as bridesmaids, who wore dresses of white silk crepon, trimmed white satin and silver, finished at the neck with rose pink collarettes, fastened with a gold pearl brooch presented by the bridegroom. Their hats were of white felt, trimmed with white satin, and white tips and pink. Mrs. Keeling, the mother of the bride, was attired in a dress of black satin, with white satin and jet trimming, and Mrs. Churchill Clapton, sister of the bride, wore a blue-grey dress, with ivory satin and silver. The bride's going-away dress was of cornflower blue, trimmed with blue velvet and jet, and she wore a black hat with ostrich tips and blue velvet. The best man was Mr. Eustace F.D. Bouth, brother of the bridegroom. Mr. H. Rogers was at the organ, and the musical programme was as follows:—Allegretto (Handel); Angel's Serenade (Braga); March in D (Silas); anthem, "Love Divine" (Stainer): hymns, "The voice that breathed" and "O perfect love." After the ceremony a reception was held at 10, Lansdown-terrace, at which about 200 guests were entertained, and Mr. Hatton's string band was in attendance. The magnificent bride cake, supplied by Mr. J.A. Fisher, of Gloucester, was a splendid specimen of the confectioner's art, and stood over five feet high from the silver stand to the top of the shower bouquet. It was in three tiers, the centre and top cakes being supported on columns; the side ornaments were satin slippers filled with tiny bouquets of bridal flowers, Cupids, doves, and orange blossoms. From the top cake five wedding bells were suspended, with orange buds for clappers. Surmounting the whole was an elegant white vase, which held a shower bouquet of real flowers, and a wreath of hot-house flowers encircled the base. The newly-wedded couple took their departure during the afternoon for Bournemouth, amidst the good wishes of the assembled guests.

[Ed. - The extensive list of presents has intentionally been omitted.]

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)

Offline SandraD1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 April 19 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy info! My next task will take longer and be nigh impossible - confirming my relative Filia Quarta Jones (from Wales) worked for Rev Bouth at the Rectory in 1908/9. If only there'd been a census that year!

Offline George Shaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy info! My next task will take longer and be nigh impossible - confirming my relative Filia Quarta Jones (from Wales) worked for Rev Bouth at the Rectory in 1908/9. If only there'd been a census that year!

Any luck, Sandra?

HIGENBOTTAM (Brewery)
LECOMBER (Engineer)
SHAW (Brewery)