Author Topic: Scotland Marriage 1832  (Read 4954 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I HAVE A SCOTLAND MARRIAGE 1832 I NEED HELP TO DECIPHER ~ PLEASE
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 April 16 16:09 BST (UK) »
'proclamation of their forms of marriage'
'and having been regularly proclaimed at the Chapel of Tomintoul'

Agree 'Thomas Carmichael'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 April 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
 There is no reason why the Duke of Gordon should not have been there. I don't know the area ( apart from the fact that it is in the Highlands of Scotland ) but it is just possible that they were married on a Sunday when the whole parish would have been attending Mass the local Duke included !.
However I see that there was a Presbyterian minister as well as a Catholic priest  at the service so that may tell quite a different story. It would be interesting to follow this one up.  Isn't family history  exciting?

Orkrad.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 April 16 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

I definitely think Donald, look at the 'd' at the end of Donald and then above at the word 'and' , the letter is very similar.

claire

I agree that the last two letters are "ld", with the whole name reading "Donald"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Orkrd

"However I see that there was a Presbyterian minister as well as a Catholic priest at the service so that may tell quite a different story" . . .

Thought I was going mad there . . . : )

I Found this on the net . . .

From a reader:

My question: Is it permissible for a Protestant minister to officiate the Marriage Rite at a Catholic Nuptial Mass? This is about to take place at our local parish and our pastor stated that as long as he witnesses (watches) the vows, it is okay?

It would not be possible for a non-Catholic minister to receive the vows of a couple at a Catholic nuptial Mass.

Depending on the diocesan laws and customs, and subject to the norms of the 1993 Ecumenical Directory, there might be some place for the non-Catholic minister in the nuptial Mass – processing in, sitting in the sanctuary, even standing (silently) with the Catholic priest while he, the priest, receives the vows of both parties, offering congratulations to the couple on behalf of his ecclesial community at the end of the nuptial Mass.

If the Protestant minister “officiates” at the marriage rite while the Catholic priest merely “witnesses” the vows being exchanged, we have a likely case of the marriage being null due to a defect of canonical form.

Now we know . . . : )

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
I think that the farm of the McIntoshes is most likely Auchriachan and the witness was Alexr. McHardy of Lagganvoulin.

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
"Elo Periwinkled

Oooh thanks for that - I can only presume they all took it in turns to live in each other's tack as they seem to all had a turn at Auchriachan and Lagganvoulin including our lot - there is a lass on here who now own's Lagganvoulin as a holiday home - Alex McHardy is interesting to me because if I am right he would be from Strathdon or Inchrory possible father William McHardy - My step is to go up to Tomintoul and check out a few graves with a few of my rellies in Tomintoul kirkyard and see all the tacks they once all lived in . . .

Thanks for the extra information as we sometimes forget the witnesses to a wedding and I did not know where Isobel McIntosh was from - so thanks for that . . .

Kind regards

Indiana . . .

Offline Periwinkled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Have you leafed through 'Highland Legends' by Glenmore (Donald Shaw)?  You can get a transcription or scanned PDF online.  Gives some colour to the characters and landscape of Inchrory and Strathavon and has a fascinating list of names and addresses of all the sponsors.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 September 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
From VRs...

SHAW ALEXANDER Tenant Occupier
FARM OF DELLACHOUL
KIRKMICHAEL (BANFF)
VR009100002-

Proprietor was RICHMOND DUKE... "(Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, 10th Duke of Richmond, 10th Duke of Lennox, 10th Duke of Aubigny, 5th Duke of Gordon"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Richmond

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 September 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
I think that the farm of the McIntoshes is most likely Auchriachan and the witness was Alexr. McHardy of Lagganvoulin.

By 1855...

MACKARDY GEORGE (probably related to witness Alexander McHardy)?
Tenant Occupier
FARM OF MAINS OF ACHRIACHAN, KIRKMICHAEL (BANFF)
VR009100002-

Valuation Rolls begin 1855

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"