Author Topic: Jacob and Jacques  (Read 691 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Jacob and Jacques
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 01:48 BST (UK) »
Quick question: are Jacob and Jacques the same name in French or different? Please excuse my ignorance on this.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jacob and Jacques
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
Wiki says ...

"Jacob is derived from Late Latin Iacobus ...
The name comes either from the Hebrew root עקב ʿqb meaning "to follow, to be behind" but also "to supplant, circumvent, assail, overreach", or from the word for "heel", עֲקֵב ʿaqeb.
In the narrative of Genesis, it refers to the circumstances of Jacob's birth when he held on to the heel of his older twin brother Esau..."

also on Wiki ...

Jacques ... "French equivalent of James, ultimately originating from the name Jacob"
James ... "James is the English language New Testament (Vulgar Latin) form of the Hebrew name Yaʻaqov (Jacob)

So 3 names for the price of one.

Salute,

Janelle

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, Janelle. That helps me, as I have a marriage record that says Jacques, son of Isaac. But when I look for baptisms, I can only find a Jacob, son of Isaac.
This is the Walloon Church in Canterbury.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Janelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 01:35 BST (UK) »
 ;D

And I am not bible-read, just a bit of wiki, so probably going to be shot done for blaspheming ...

but regarding the use of Jacob, its interesting that it is the more pleasant sounding (and pronouceable) of the twins Esau and J - but with the less noble meaning. :(