Author Topic: Shropshire Census 1851, DAVIES.  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shropshire Census 1851, DAVIES.
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 05:13 BST (UK) »
I've followed a JOHN DAVIES in the 1841 Census married to HANNAH DAVIES through to the 1861 Census, together with various children. These children seem to fit including probably my g/grandfather, William, born about 1843.
HANNAH is described in the 1851 Census as originating at Whitchurch, Shropshire.
William migrated to Australia in the 1880's with his wife and children, and upon his death, his mother's maiden name is given as EARLSTONE.
I've not had any success in tracking down any Earlstone anywhere but have come across a MARRIAGE on 28th Jan 1826 between a JOHN DAVIES and HANNAH WHITFIELD, at West Felton, Anglican Ref. P298/A/3/3 page 27.
The 1881 Census of William and family taken at Barrow in Furness, includes a niece, Emma Chadwick, a daughter of a Mary Chadwick of Staffs or Sarah Chadwick of Salop, both of which mother's names fit the earlier JOHN DAVIES Census which makes me think that WHITFIELD is correct.
I'd love some assistance with this please. 

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Census 1851, DAVIES.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, I have not checked the age of Hannah in the census, but if she is shown as born circa 1807 then:-

Baptism Hannah Whitfield 8th March 1807 Whitchurch Father Thos Mother Ann

So how/why the Earlstone name I have yet to locate!?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 April 16 01:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry Keyboard 86, this is the 3rd attempt at thanking you for your prompt response.
 My earlier messages just seemed to disappear and I can't be sure that they were sent.
But again, thank you and YES, HANNAH indicates in the 41 &51 Census that she born in 1806 whilst in the 61 Census, she is born in 1807.
So I'll keep this short this time so as to make sure that I send it correctly, I hope.
Ken.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 April 16 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again, so glad to have helped you, I presume you have Hannah aged 63 Widow b Whitchurch with son George 22 b West Felton residing Haughton, Oswestry, Shropshire in 1871 Census Ref RG10/2778/125/17

Also who is the Thomas Robert Cubbin? born Sept qtr 1860 Wirral 8a 403, shown with family as Grandson in 1861?

OK worked out just how a Thomas Robert Cubbin was shown as Grandson to John/Hannah

18th March 1858 St Johns Church, Liverpool

Thomas Cubbin aged 23 to Sarah Davies aged 23 Grooms father John Cubbin Brides father John Davies, Thomas Cubbin remarries a Catherine C Cottier in June 1866 Birkenhead 8a 622, so it would appear Sarah has died pre 1866, Sarah had another son John Henry Cubbin March qtr 1859 Wirral 8a 426, who was with this family in 1861:-

John Duckett 31 b Settle, Yorkshire
Eliza 31 b West Felton
Charles 7 b Birkenhead
John 3 b Birkenhead
John Cubbin 2 Nephew b Birkenhead
Residing at 63, Watson Street, Birkenhead
Census Ref RG09/2642/49/16

In 1871 this family at Beckwith Street, Birkenhead have a Harriett Davies 25 shown as Sister in Law b Shropshire.
Census Ref RG10/3747/50/15

John Duckett to Eliza DAVIS 4th May 1852 St Peter, Liverpool Grooms Father Charles Duckett Brides Father John Davis
Keyboard86

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 16 04:01 BST (UK) »
Don't you sleep over there in the UK. My timer tells me that it's 3.45am.
Many  thanks again.
No, I didn't have that 1871 Census but I do have the 1881 one showing the two and stating 'Farmer of 17 Acres.' at West Felton Oswestry.
I think that HANNAH past away in 1881 though I'm not sure why I imagine that.
I'm so glad that you found the Cubbin family including SARAH DAVIES as I had my EMMA CHADWICK (Living with WILLIAM in 1881 Census) as daughter of a Sarah & Thomas Chadwick.
That eliminates that Sarah as a Davies.
The other EMMA CHADWICK born the same year 1863 in Staffordshire to MARY, which name is also on the DAVIES 1841/51 Census, now seems the probable source. Will keep checking.   
Give yourself a break, have a Kit Kat.
Many, many thanks.
Ken

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 April 16 04:56 BST (UK) »
So sad,

Burial 15th February 1861 Sarah Cubbin, St Mary, Birkenhead aged 26

Keyboard86

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 April 16 04:47 BST (UK) »
Keyboard 86, you are a marvel. Many thanks.
Don't how to attach those little faces but you deserve them all. The nice ones at least.
Ken

Offline Kenvyn Davies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 April 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Keyboard 86 I need help again please if you can.
You were right about Sarah Davies/Thomas Cubbin. I did have that 1861 Census but my transcription only showed Thomas R. aged 0.
As you say, how sad. Sarah must have died in child birth and that fact didn't grab me until I re-read your message.
BUT.. the 1881 Census of William Davies/Rebecca at Barrow in Furness, shows EMMA CHADWICK, Niece born 1863 in Staffs.
I had 2 Emma's, each with a mother which matched the DAVIES Census of father JOHN & mother HANNAH being SARAH, who you swiftly eliminated as married to CUBBIN, and MARY, who I have eliminated as being Mary Anne Allen married to THomas Chadwick in 1855.
The only other Emma's I have come up with is one living with William Thackeray in 1891 and another, Sarah Emma Chadwick dau of Harvey & Eliza who doesn't fit.
Sorry to trouble you again but all of a sudden Emma has become an obsession to find out more.
Can you help please?