Author Topic: 8 Cemetery Road, Guildford in 1911 census  (Read 1342 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
8 Cemetery Road, Guildford in 1911 census
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 08:17 BST (UK) »
My patrilineal family is a solid line of East Enders, back to my great x3 grandfather who moved in to London from Essex in the 1840s. HOWEVER, my great uncle Ron, who was born 6 days after the Armistice, was inexplicably born in Guildford. All ten of his brothers and sisters were born in the East End, and his older brother Percy who died in January 1918 died in the East End.

I am trying to find an explanation for this, so I have obtained Ron's birth certificate. It tells me two important details. First, the informant is his mother, and she gives as her address their East End address, so this was only a temporary presence in Guildford; and secondly, I have a place of birth - namely 8 Cemetery Road, Guildford.

I am trying to look up this address in the 1911 Census in order to see if there are any relatives living there which might explain what's going on; however, I am having difficulty with the Find My Past search function, which is inexplicably returning no hits for Cemetery Road Guildford in the 1911 census. I know that this is not because Cemetery Road was only laid out and built after 1911, because I have plenty of hits for Cemetery Road Guildford in the 1901 census.

If you have a name and d.o.b. of anyone who was living on Cemetery Road Guildford in 1911 and is definitely present there in the census, could you please provide details so I can search for them, and then scroll through the returns to find number 8?

Many thanks.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Cemetery Road, Guildford in 1911 census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 08:37 BST (UK) »
Cemetery Road is on FindMyPast's street index up to number 6. The other properties are house names

Try Georgina Allen (56) or Henry Dance (22) to put you into the street

See my next post
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 16 08:43 BST (UK) »
Another possibility?

Cemetery Road, Stoke-next-Guildford, Guildford was renamed Weyside Road at some point?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 16 08:55 BST (UK) »
If you just put in Cemetery / Cemetary Road  -  County Surrey  (No place name) in the address search it comes straight up

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
" For having cycled without a rear light, Geo. Vincent Burrows. 8, Cemetery-road,Guildford, was fined 7s 6d."

Surrey Advertiser, 6 and 9 November 1918
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 April 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Good find as always Shaun  ;D

I wonder  ;)

Births Jun 1891 
George Vincent    Burrows
W. Ham    4a   25

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 April 16 09:12 BST (UK) »
He was a railway clerk so could have been moved around to different stations on a temporary basis.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744156.0
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 April 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Shaun -

Thank you. That is my great grandfather!! And yes, Rosie ... that is his birth.

It looks as though the family DID move to Guildford for a while, then ... very interesting!!

I wouldn't have expected the move to Guildford to be work related. George was a clerk on the Great Eastern Railway. The railways serving Guildford were the London & South Western, the South Eastern & Chatham, and the London, Brighton & South Coast. I know the railways were all under the control of the Railway Executive from 1914 - 1921 and I can envisage operating staff being moved about to meet operational needs ... but not clerks!

Between 1918 and 1921, however, George did leave the railway's employment and set up in business on his own account as a draper. I wonder whether the temporary move to Guildford had any connection with this?

The thing is, though, it can only have been seen as temporary at the time; they lived at 111 Sherrard Road both before AND after their time in Guildford; and when Ron was born in Guildford, his mother was the informant and gave her address as 111 Sherrard Road, Forest Gate E7.

Working through the census returns, the one which OUGHT to be 8 Cemetery Road is a 5 room cottage occupied by Sidney Howard ... no known family connection there whatever.

George's only surviving child, my great aunt Shirley, was not born until 1935 ... but she may know some answers. One more thing to ask her next time I see her ...

All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright