Author Topic: Kelly of Killaree Kilkenny  (Read 2673 times)

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly of Killaree Kilkenny
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:32 BST (UK) »
I am stunned by the attached newspaper article [The Clonmel Herald 21 Feb 1835] I recently located regarding my ggggrandfather, Edmund Kelly, farmer of Killaree.  I would be most appreciative if members of this forum would 'interpret' it for me.  I am struggling with the idea that 'a large body of men - between 40 and 50 persons' were needed to whisk the young lady off in the middle of the night. Similarly, I am baffled as to why it was deemed necessary to re enter the room and "beat Kelly and another man most severely.'  Is this a political rather than a romantic escapade?  While I have not been able to locate the coverage of the trial which would possibly answer some of my questions, I did find [Clonmel Herald 15 Apr 1835] where four men were tried at the Kilkenny Assizes and found guilty under the coercion act of being absent from their dwellings at unlawful hours on the night of the 14th February. 
Many thanks, patDEN in Western Australia

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly of Killaree Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 April 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
Well, nothing further re the newspaper article, but further information re the family!
The townland of Kilaree/Killaree Three Castles, Kilkenny was the home of my farming Kelly family for several generations with the earliest identified ancestor being that of Edmond Kelly [1769-1865] and his wife, Anne McEvoy.  Both Edmond and Anne died in 1865 and are buried in Tulla Churchyard, Killaree. Their eldest son, James married Bridget Phelan in 1845 and the couple migrated to South Australia with their family in 1859. I am descended from James and Bridget.
Edmond's daughter, Bridget, married Michael Kerwick in 1858, his son, John, married Julia Fleming ~1866, his son Edmond died 1904 aged 85 and is recorded at Tulla Churhyard, while the youngest son, Michael was baptised 1828 and nothing further is known [nor is he recorded on the Kelly stone in the Tulla Churchyard].
There is also a Daniel Kelly lurking somewhere!  He appears on the Tithe Applotment Books 1826 [common interest in 'Hill Farm'] with Edmund and again on the 1848/1849 Griffiths Valuation, but has disappeared from Killaree by the late 1850's early 1860's.  'Daniel' does not appear to be a name associated with our family.  I have tried in vain to trace Daniel … of course, he could've migrated,
I would appreciated any information whatsoever regarding how to track this Kelly family.
Regards
patDEN

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
St. Nicholas’, Tulla Graveyard Photographs, Co. Kilkenny
These photographs were taken by Dr. Jane Lyons and are exclusive to From-Ireland.net.

http://www.from-ireland.net/photography/st-nicholas-tulla-graveyard-photographs-co-kilkenny/nggallery/page/1

St. Nicholas’, Tulla Graveyard Records, Co. Kilkenny
http://www.from-ireland.net/nicholas-tulla-graveyard-kilkenny/
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chinapaddy ... they are all or mostly all, just biding their time in the graveyard waiting for someone to come and visit so they can tell their story ... do hope it happens soon!
Cheers
patDEN

Offline Leon KELLY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
My name is Leon
Just wondering if you are interested in contacting me.
Your request I notice is from April of 2018, I hope you receive this notice.
Kind regards
Leon, Sydney NSW
3x gr grand son of Edmond and Anne KELLY

Offline patDEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 19 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leon
Great to hear from you.  I am still well and truly on the Kelly trail and always ready to learn and share information.
Regards
Pat in WAustralia