Author Topic: BIDMEAD / BETMEAD / BITMEAD (Worldwide)  (Read 1421 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BIDMEAD / BETMEAD / BITMEAD (Worldwide)
« on: Saturday 09 April 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
2016 update for information on and contacting me concerning my one-name research into this family name in this area (please note that this has expanded worldwide and now includes the BITMEAD variant):
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biding-By-The-Meadow/440799759421292
Best wishes,
Mark
“The Geneal Geologist”

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BIDMEAD / BETMEAD / BITMEAD (Worldwide)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
In researching my Goodwins, I have found a William Goodwin/Gooden b. 1808 in Harwell, Berks, who married an Ann Bidmead b. 1807 in Harwell.  It seems that Ann is the daughter of Charles Bidmead (b 1775, Harwell) and Elizabeth Yates, and that Charles is the son of Charles Bidmead (b 1751, Hagbourne, Berks) and Katherine Waterman.

Do these three Bidmeads fit into your picture somewhere, please?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi STG - My research seems to confirm your own findings.

Elizabeth is also recorded as YEATES (they married abt 1805, but I don't have an exact date).

As I discuss on my Facebook research blog (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biding-By-The-Meadow/440799759421292), the issues are the variants spellings for the family name, especially in older records before individual lines standardised their spellings, and that church records in BRK & OXF have been rounded up by the local county FHS and therefore not available on public domain website without paying for their fiche (i.e. not yet digitised). Both these counties have fewer public domain records than some others.

Katherine was nee BAKER and married Charles Sr. as widow WATERMAN, FYI.

Ann had two brothers I can find, but gaps suggest room for a few more children - Thomas (1813-1878) & James (1815-1870). I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a Charles in there somewhere, since Charles (who married Katherine) was s/o a Charles (1718-85) & Elizabeth FORD, and in turn s/o a Charles of West Hendred (c1680-1751 BRK) and a Mary unknown. That line ends in my "catch-all" for BRK pending release of earlier records.

All work in progress.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 16 18:29 BST (UK) »
I have a date for the marriage of Elizabeth Yeates to Charles Bidmead as 6 July 1802 at Hagbourne, which would suggest to me that there's room for at least one child between the marriage and Ann's birth abt 1807   ;)

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 April 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that date, which would match Elizabeth being 21 upon marriage.
M.