Author Topic: How to Organise 100 Years of Research?  (Read 6315 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: How to Organise 100 Years of Research?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 16 08:46 BST (UK) »
I think that's the key. Ensure that all paper documents and files are stored properly, and have a variety of backup options, whether it be cloud storage, external hard drive or other media such as CD-ROM.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 16 09:49 BST (UK) »
Have you considered storing everything in a fire safe (or safes). They are not as expensive now as they used to be.

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 16 09:57 BST (UK) »
Please, Please, Please, never even think that a usb flash drive is safe to store anything.
It is not even a reliable method to transfer files as usb flash drives can be corrupted simply by inserting them or removing them from the usb port.

It is not a case they may fail is is guaranteed that ever usb flash drive will fail at some point or other.

Always ensure that you have a copy of anything put on a usb flash drive.

Cheers
Guy

What would be a more reliable method of electronic storage other than USB? Admittedly USB is what I am usually backed up to at the moment (I never realised it was that unreliable before).
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
Have you considered storing everything in a fire safe (or safes). They are not as expensive now as they used to be.

That is something I was looking into last night as well, a lot of the fire proof chests and safes seem to be fairly small and only designed for A4 documents though.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 April 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
What would be a more reliable method of electronic storage other than USB?

I think the secret is to use several different methods: DVD, Cloud, External Hard Drive, etc. on the assumption that it would be seriously bad luck if they were all to fail at the same time . . . unless of course they were all in the same house, along with the paper copies, when it burnt down, at which point they might be the least of your worries  >:(   Of course, once everything was back to normal you would find the cloud storage company had gone out of business and all your data was gone forever . . .  :'(

In my experience USB Flash Drives can be reliable for long periods, but they usually fail when they hold your one and only copy of something valuable!

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 April 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
100 years of Research

some thoughts.... 

Catalogue, scan, photograph, back up, fireproof safes, metal trunks within metal trunks, waterproof, attend a workshop, record oral histories, store back ups in different location to originals, have second back ups stored in a third location and in a different format to back up no. 1, contact Museums/Archives/Records Offices and ask for their opinions/advice/ re storage/cataloguing practices, 

ask a Conservator, .... see these live links   http://www.preservationaustralia.com.au/ask_conservator
and
https://aiccm.org.au/

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/preservation-work/conservation-tips and
large documents:
http://archivesoutside.records.nsw.gov.au/conservation-tip-no-2-storing-large-documents-maps-and-plans/

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 16 17:29 BST (UK) »
If you are willing to invest some money:

A decent multifunction printer/scanner for around £50 (I use a Canon pixma which works well for me, but any reputable make will do)

An external hard drive is useful but not essential - like flash drives they can crash.  If you do buy one, go for a reputable make like Seagate or Western Digital.  £50 to £100.

CDs - make two copies so if one gets damaged you have a backup from which to make extra copies.  50 CD-R disks cost about £10.

When saving files on computer use sub-folders and give them reference numbers.  Put the originals (photos, papers etc) in document wallets with the same index number.

The important thing is to get everything scanned and stored so you have multiple copies and know where to find the originals.  When you have free time you can go through individual items and reorganise them.

Storage of originals - like other Rootschatters I recommend acid-free pockets or albums.

And always remember - Rootschatters are great at deciphering hard-to-read writing and restoring battered photos.

Hope this helps
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flocklet

• RootsChat Senior
  • More cheese, Gromit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 04:12 BST (UK) »
Dear 243,
There are some fantastic ideas here. Upon reading these posts, I implore all to save & save a gain somewhere safe.We are currently moving down south of Western Australia, & in our 'wisdom' stored all my family history files (14) with years & years of documents, letters etc, at my sister place in her huge steel shed. Unfortunately they had the Yarloop fires,  alas,not only 2 people lost their lives, most of the town was demolished, & yes, we lost everything. I still don't have the heart to begin again, it's just too sad at the moment. No doubt, I will start again, but please save well.  :-\
HOLTON - Middlesex
MASKELL - London & Essex
WENLOCK - All
CHANDLER - Surrey
ECCLESTON - Lancashire & London
MOORE - Kent
GOREHAM - All
HUDSON - Surrey
FARRAND

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 December 16 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Paper is still the most reliable method of long term storage.