Author Topic: Marriage between French lady, Swiss man  (Read 9411 times)

Offline caneggio

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between French lady, Swiss man
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 17 December 19 01:32 GMT (UK) »
John Arigho was my great grandfather. I was brought up in the UK. Fr Des Arigho is my second cousin and there are quite a few Arighos still in Dublin. Des has done some research on the family, much of which he passed on to me. We know very little about Louis and have a feeling that the two brothers did not fraternise much when they were in Dublin.
My great grand mother was Ellen Ryan, his first wife and we know nothing much about that family. I was told that she was the daughter of his gardener.
John and Louis were from Caneggio in Ticino in Switzerland which I have visited.
George Arigho was my father's cousin who lived in Howth. Des's father, Jack Arigho, was a famous rugby player.
Mary

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 21 December 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, and how lovely to have another contact with the Arigho family. 

My husband is related to the Arigho  line via Louis and his wife Estella Lefebre, if you read back to the beginning of these posts. I have been able to do more on John, as he married a local girl. Your connection is really interesting.  Until recently I couldn't find anything about Louis' wife until I posted on the European board with Rootschat.

Kimcrum and I have been following the "french lady" Lefebre searches with much interest, it has been amazing how far back the records go in France.

If you have any old family photographs, please let me know.  It must have been lovely to visit their family village in Caneggio.  We were in Menaggio a few years ago but at that time were unaware that we had been so close to the ancestors!

I saw on the internet a little while ago about Jack Arigho and his rugby career, very interesting to my husband as his father played rugby in a London club, my husband and son both played, we are fans of the sport - and we actually live in Rugby!

best regards.

Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline Lwinsta

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 26 April 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My husband is related to the Arigho family line through Mary Josephine “Maureen” Arigho (b. 1916, Dublin, Ireland and d. 2011, Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A).

-Maureen is daughter of Renaldo Arigho & Mary Walsh
-Renaldo is son of Louis Arigho & Marie Estelle “Ellen” Lefebere (Levebre ? name variation)
-Louis Arigho is son of Baptiste Arigho and Constanza Arigho

Maureen spoke of Renaldo and Louis occasionally, I wish we would’ve asked more questions then...

Maureen and Pearse were married in Dublin, and lived there for a awhile. Then they left Dublin in 1956 on a ship called SS America and arrived in the USA a week later. Maureen would share stories with us regarding this family “religious” business and one in which she worked, at a shop located in Lourdes, France. She said she worked there during the late 1930’s and into 1940’s. She said she went to visit her aunt (Nancy??) who “kept shop” and then she was confined to France and couldn’t leave bc the war was taking place. We have one photo of Maureen’s sister (Philomena Arigho) in France in front of their religious store, and another photo of her on street by the store.

Question: I read in earlier post about a disagreement between the two brothers, John and Louis, I believe. Are there any further details? I’m curious if the shop in Lourdes had anything to do with this family dispute, since the business seemed to be primarily based in Dublin.

Question: I am not clear on all the men named George in this family line (and their spouses & children), and who/how they are related to others. Any clarity provided would be greatly appreciated.

Renaldo and Mary Arigho had the following children below. Only Maureen and husband Pearse moved to Phoenix, AZ, U.S.A; and her sister Philomena “Phil” married an American soldier she met in France, they married and moved to Sierra Vista, AZ, U.S.A where he was stationed and to live out their lives. The remaining sisters and one brother lived/died in Dublin. The descendants of these folks below (my husband’s cousins), are predominantly all living in Dublin.

-Mary Josephine “Maureen” and she married Pearse Winstanley (my husband’s parents)
-Philomena Teresa and she married Paul Daugherty (no children)
-Amelia married Gerald Coates (4 children, 1 set twins)
-Constance “Connie” married Jim Naessens (3 or 4 children)
-Estelle married Jim Brady (not sure about children)
-Louis Arigho married Avril Plunkett (twins)

Question: was John Arigho a twin or anyone else in this family?

Side note: Regarding the person who wrote in earlier post that this family was related to a person of high order in the church (Pius??), well Maureen used to tell us this story too. So this was information that was still being passed on, however I cannot confirm her story.

I hope this info is helpful to someone, I have photos of all these family members, please contact me if you wish to further conversation. I would appreciate anyone wanting to share any additional photos with me!