Author Topic: Marriage between French lady, Swiss man  (Read 9310 times)

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage between French lady, Swiss man
« on: Sunday 10 April 16 16:57 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful for further information on my husband's ancestor research. So far we have found the following:

His grandmother's family name was Arigho. As they lived in Dublin, we have found, on census returns:

Thomas Martin married Eliza ARIGHO.
Her father was John Arigho, born Caneggio, Switz, who married (firstly) Ellen Ryan, in Dublin.
John had a brother Louis, also born Swiss, who married a French girl Maria Estella.
His father was Louis Arigho, born Swiss, married a French lady Leontine Lefevre.

Would love to find out where the last two French and Swiss couples - father and son - married - possibly Switzerland as the two brothers John and Louis were both born in Switzerland.  And the surname of Estella?

The Arigho family were also involved in printing bibles, we believe.

Any assistance gratefully received!
Thank you.
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between French lady, Swiss man
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
The name doesn't appear on the Register of Swiss Surnames (http://www.hls-dhs-dss.ch/famn/index.php ) but the alternate spelling Arrigo appears in Caneggio as having been there since before 1800.

There is very limited availability of Swiss records online. You can order microfilms of the Caneggio parish records if you have access to a family history centre:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/468490?availability=Family%20History%20Library

From where do you have that his father was also Louis? I can see the Louis of a similar age in the census, presumably the brother you mention. I see there are baptisms on familysearch to a Louis Arigho + variants and both "Leotine" and "Mary Estella", however looking at the children on the census I think these are all the same person, appearing as Estella in 1911.

Also, sites outside familysearch give different details,  example, http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ has the baptism of Mary Ellen Winifred "Arigi" in 1875, and gives her parents as "Luis" and "Estella Leontina", rather than "Mary Estella" as on familysearch.  (This latter appears to be accurate to the images of the Catholic records which can be found on registers.nli.ie )

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000639791#page/69/mode/1up
This looks to be the (church) marriage of John and Ellen Ryan. Gives his parents names as Baptiste and Constanza - I think their residence is just given as 'Switzerland'.

Hard to know where Louis and "Estella" may have married - Caneggio was very small at the time, around 400 inhabitants, and the chances are that the brothers had moved away to find work, possibly over the border into Italy or across to France.

In 1911 Estella says she has been married 46 complete years, five children with five living, putting their marriage circa 1865 although the first trace of children to them in Ireland that I can see is 1872.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between French lady, Swiss man - Arigho brothers
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 12:50 BST (UK) »

Thank you for your prompt reply and the information.

Since posting my request I have found John Arigho's monument on 'find a grave' website and this confirms his father was Baptist.  Having followed your link, its great to see his marriage to Ellen - and that Baptist and Constanza are named there.

John and Louis' parents got us confused with the son Louis - we found via family search the births of Constanza and George Leo to Louis Arigho and Leontine Lefebre, and can understand the confusion on her christian names, considering what you found.

We also found a Leontine Le Fevre born to Silean Le Fevre and Leontine Double in Paris about 1846, death 1915. Doesn't say where the death was. Wonder if this is our Leontine?

Thanks again for clarifications.
Kind regards.

Offline Kimcrum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that my aunts told me that Estella and Luigi got married in
Nore Dame Cathedral in Rouen in France.  I have tried contacting them looking for information but no luck.  I may re try again but this time in French.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 08:11 BST (UK) »
http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net/?id=viewer&doc=accounts%2Fmnesys_ad76%2Fdatas%2Fir%2Fserie_E_seigneuries_familles_notaires_etat_civil%2FFRAD076_IR_E_etat_civil%2Exml&page_ref=2884262&lot_num=1&img_num=1&index_in_visu=
slide 30/126 and 31

23 january 1866 marriage between Louis ARRIGHI, carpenter born in Caneggio, Switzerland ,Tessin canton, 9 november 1843, living in Rouen ( Ile Lacroix N ) son of Baptiste Arrighi , who died 29 march 1845 in Caneggio, and Constance CROCI living in Caneggio, who consent to the marriage ( consent act made in Mr AVI's office , sollicitor  on the last 26 february ), and Estelle Léontine LEFEVRE, ironer,living in Rouen  (Ile Lacroix N), born in this town 2 july 1837, "fille naturelle= illegitimate daughter, no father's name mentionned at the birth of Rosalie LEFEVRE, no marriage contract...................witnesses Pierre Octave MORAND ,gas employee Ile Lacroix N, 69 years'old,,cousin of the bride , and Eugène Joseph GARDIN 30 year's old , 82 Darnétal Street , brother in law of the bride,Charles LEFEBVRE, 27,  railway employee,living Ile la Croix brother of the bride ,Antoine GATTE , 36, 6 rue des tapissiers.
Signatures

Lacroix island is on the river Seine in Rouen

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between French lady, Swiss man (Arigho / Lefevre)
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 June 19 16:28 BST (UK) »

Have just seen your replies to my post ( started a long time ago now) regarding the marriage of Louis Arigho and Estella Leontine Lefevre.  And your replies are so exciting, now not only have the correct spellings, but where and when they were married, etc!

Thank you so much for this and all your work and attention.
Will follow it up a.s.a.p.

best regards

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 June 19 18:26 BST (UK) »
Glad to make you happy with these finds .
I think that I found Estelle's brother , called Charles (see the marriage);
http://recherche.archivesdepartementales76.net/?id=viewer&doc=accounts%2Fmnesys_ad76%2Fdatas%2Fir%2Fserie_E_seigneuries_familles_notaires_etat_civil%2FFRAD076_IR_E_etat_civil%2Exml&page_ref=2896316&lot_num=1&img_num=1&index_in_visu=
slide 73 .
The mother's name is Rosine (like in Estelle's birth certificate) ,. When Estelle married, her mother is called Rosalie  ( must be a mistake in this document)
Charles birth gives Mont St Aignan as Rosine's birth place.

Still, I 'll search further in the registers , to be sure there is not another Charles LEFEBVRE born to a mother called Rosalie , not married.Estelle must have had at least a sister (see marriage) having married Eugène GARDIN
There were many  LEFEBVRE in Rouen in those days .

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile