Author Topic: Townland Tarbert  (Read 3225 times)

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Townland Tarbert
« on: Monday 11 April 16 04:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have information about the history and origin of the name Tarbert (the townland)?
Many thanks.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Townland Tarbert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 16 06:19 BST (UK) »
With the usual health warning over accuracy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarbert

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 16 08:11 BST (UK) »
'a grant, or gift'    http://www.logainm.ie/28087.aspx
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 16 02:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.
I thought Tarbert was a place-name which usually indicated an isthmus or a place where boats were dragged between two stretches of water, so I was puzzled to find the name in inland Laois. It has now been pointed out to me that the townland of Tarbert is bounded by streams and is close to the river Nore, which was an important waterway in medieval times, with the Viking settlement of Waterford downstream.  There may well have been a portage site at Tarbert and I am thinking that probably is the explanation of the name.

Offline Gizmo678192

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 August 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have information about the history and origin of the name Tarbert (the townland)?
Many thanks.

I am a native of Tarbert Co Kerry and apparently the name came from Tarbert, Co Kerry when Laois transplantees to Tarbert Kerry returned to Laois. The Seven Septs of Laois were originally transplantated to Kerry during the plantation era in Ireland. I have recently published a book on this subject 'From Laois to Kerry' which includes details and references in relation to the Laois townland name Tarbert

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your helpful response. Apologies for not responding more quickly - I have been overseas (from New Zealand where I live).

Some time ago I received a response, through another avenue, to my query which suggested that the name Tarbert may have arisen in Laois from the Gaelic tairbeart, the reasoning being that there were two local streams, presumed to have been navigable rivers in Viking times, and that the townland may have been a portage point.

My interest is in trying to establish the provenance of the surname Turbott (Turbitt, Turbett) which, as far as I can establish, came to Ireland in Norman times. There is a townland Turbotstown in Westmeath which probably was so named in the time of Hugh DeLacey. About 100 years later, the land passed to the Deese family, who continued in ownership until the late 19th\early 20th century. I wonder if this family was related to one of the Laois septs.

Offline Gizmo678192

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Re origins of the name Tarbert, there are some very interesting aspects to your response as follows:
- In my recently launched book, see title below, I discuss and reference the following article
Tempan P Tarbert Co Kerry and the element tairbeart in placenames,
The Kerry Magazine, Kerry Archaeological and Historical Soc. 19 2009
This discusses both the Kerry and Laois connection with the name Tarbert. If not available I can forward a copy. I know I have a hard copy filed away somewhere!
- The Deese surname is very interesting. As discussed in my book, the O'Devoys or O'Deevys, one of the seven septs of Laois, shortened the name to Dee when they were transplanted to Kerry. The Kerry Dees are part of my own family tree and some of them currently live in my original home parish, Tarbert Co Kerry.
My book, published last year, details as follows:
Title: From Laois to Kerry
Sub-titles The Laois origins and continuing presence in Kerry of the Moores, Kellys, Dowlings, Lawlors, O'Devoys or Deevys or Dees and McEvoys
The remarkable Lives of their transplanter and landlord Patrick Crosbie and his successor Sir Pierce Crosbie.
Availability: online at kennys.ie or omahonysbooks.ie
Alternatively signed copies are available from myself

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
I would be most interested to see a copy of the Tempan article in the Kerry Magazine (which is not available locally) if you are able to send it.  I will also try to hunt down a copy of your book in the local genealogy library, if not perhaps try the services of Kenny's who do a good deal on international postage.

It would appear that the Deese (Dease) family took over the land at Turbotstown around 1272, well before the plantation period. Is it still possible that they were from a Laois sept?

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline garthj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
I meant to say also that I have discovered a good deal of information about the Barony of Fore, where Turbotstown is located, from a little book "Medieval Fore, County Westmere" by Rory Masterson.