Author Topic: Henry Swinnerton Divorce.  (Read 4226 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Swinnerton Divorce.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 14 April 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is his death? His second forename was given as John on the death entry for his child as given by Sue above. However, as there were at least nine siblings for Henry, plus cousins with similar names, and this chap's age is out by a couple of years you would need to see the certificate as it may be a brother.

Victoria, 1946 #22513
Jno SWINNERTON, 44
Death Place:   Bendigo, Victoria
Father's name:   Wm Jas Swinnerton
Mother's name:   Ellen Mannix

Edit to add: I have struck this through. I now think this death is a brother of Henry as there is a birth registered in 1902 for John SWINNERTON with the same parents.
Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 27 October 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking into the Swinnerton family and there is a Swinnerton Family Society newsletter printed in England that may have some connections.
My guess at this early stage of research is that a couple of Swinnerton families came to Victoria from Betley, Staffordshire.
The Henry Swinnerton, whose wife Gladys [Yeoman]was granted a divorce in 1934, may be the grandson of Wm Lunt Swinnerton bp. 7 Jan 1821 in Forton, Staffordshire. Wm Lunt Swinnerton's parents were Thomas Swinnerton and Esther Lunt, who married 14 May 1815 Betley. The father was a game keeper who first lived in Betley, then moved onto Sutton, near Forton, Staffordshire, before moving back to Betley by the 1841 Census.
The Swinnerton Society have a tree for Thomas Swinnerton and Esther Lunt; however, only list 5 of 9 chn that I have found. Yes, William bp 1821 is not mentioned on that tree.
There is a man in Ballarat who descends from Ruth Swinnerton, the above Henry Swinnerton and Gladys Yeoman (divorced). I am sure that he would be interested in following up the Swinnertons.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline swinno

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 October 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hello K Rees,
The online tree will be out of date by now. I'm sure without looking that the one I have might show so further information. I will look when home.

In what way are you looking into the Swinnerton family as I may be able to help you?
bswinno

Offline SWelchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I’ve just joined and tracing my family tree. I googled Swinnerton Bendigo and found this thread.
My grandfather Leslie Swinnerton was born in Bendigo around 1904. He raised a family in Echuca. My mother moved to Sydney.
Hoping you can point me in the right direction to look at a family tree if there’s a connection here.
Thank you. 

Offline swinno

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes SWelchy I do have your family tree it is called the Betley Tree.
Leslie was one of twelve children to William Swinnerton and Jane Mannix.
At present the family trees on the Swinnerton family History site are not visible
as they are being upgraded.
You can probably help me with family information as the family tree only shows Leslies siblings
year of birth apart from Henry John Swinnerton who is up to date.
I also have a Facebook site named Swinnerton Family group who has over 100 members,some who are related to you.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I may be able to point you in the right direction, assuming your grandmother was Christina Maher.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline swinno

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Christine Ann Maher wife of Leslie Swinnerton.
Year married 1937
One known child Thomas Michael Swinnerton

Offline SWelchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 March 19 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes thank you.
Christine Maher was my grandmother.
They had 5 children.
James