Author Topic: Jolly Family from around Conwall  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Ann Handyside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jolly Family from around Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne, This is Ann I've just returned from Hokitika Seaview cemetery to check out great grandfather Henry Jolly's burial site which is unmarked. Last  I visited Cornwall but didn't get time to check much out there apart from seeing the area the Jolly family came from. James is our great great grandfather through Henry Jolly's son Morton Henry. I do know that John Henry spent sometime in Australia before he settled down in the South Island in Hokitika. After Henry's dead in 1915 John moved up to Auckland to live. Only have William - Henry - John - Elizabeth on my tree but know there were other siblings as well. Regards Ann

Offline Ann Handyside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry & John Jolly
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 April 17 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne, oops I'm still waking up as I do shift work. Yes some of the family did move to Australia one in particular was William Jolly who was once Mayor of Brisbane and there is a bridge named after him crossing the Brisbane river. Still don't know too much about him but I don't think he returned to New Zealand. I believe only four of the brothers moved from Cornwall to New Zealand. I don't sadly have a photograph of my great grandfather Henry and only just got one of John Jolly whom he lived with or near in Hokitika before he died. I believe Henry gave up farming and his family to go Gold Hunting in 1860. Didn't take any photos of grave site as there was nothing there and we weren't 100% sure if it was the correct site. As the info I had been given the people next to him I can't find who they belong to in the Jolly family. I have a feeling there may have been another Jolly family in the same area at the same time. I'm slowly gathering stuff together with the help of a second cousin in the Luxton family line whose Mother was a descendant of the Jolly family. regards Ann

Offline kernowyon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jolly Family from around Conwall
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 April 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
HI
Many Thanks for the info sorry for being little blank but what does the "Shop" mean did they have a shop or does this mean home
What my Grandfather told me many years ago that there was some Blacksmiths in the Family and one of the Family set up a Blacksmith on the West Coast of New Zealand

My understanding of the word "Shop" in relation to places in Cornwall, is that they refer to blacksmith's shops. There are lots of places with the word Shop in the name - for example, close to St Columb Minor we have Gummows Shop, but there are plenty of others. Once a settlement builds up around the Smithy, then that takes the name.

Mark
Crapp, Dunstan, Jose, Stribley,Trenerry