Author Topic: Gillen/McDonough  (Read 5005 times)

Offline mdmcdonough82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillen/McDonough
« on: Tuesday 12 April 16 03:42 BST (UK) »
Good Day all,

I am conducting a little research on my family history. I am looking for any information that any might have about the Gillens in Sligo CO.

My particular string of Gillens emigrated to Canada before finally settling in Erin Township, Rice Co, MN USA. 

I can trace back to Ballymote (Emlaghfad) Parish.

We believe Mary McDonough (Gillen) was born abt 1836 in CO Sligo (Ballymote) to Michael Gillen and Mary Ann McGary (Ann McGary, Margaret McGary, Margaret Ann McGary)

We believe her parents Michael and Mary Ann to have been born abt 1800.

They emigrated to Minto Township, Ontario Canada where Mary Gillen married Patrick McDonough his gravestone says 1828 Birth, but Ontario census of 1861 puts him at 60 YO which would put him at 1801 birth. We believe him to have been from Western Ireland as well, we've heard both Galway and Sligo, but our tree stops with him. If any one has known connections to these people/families we'd love to hear about it. I know that in 1929 a distant relative went to Rosses Point, there is an entry on the guest book of  Rosses Point. We believe him to be a descendant of Mary's brother.If there are any Gillens living in Rosses Point that know family history we'd love to learn more about the family. We'll share some of our yank stories with you, there is legendary stories of the sea captains from Gillen Stock. The descendants in America are not much as Sea Captains, but we'll command a Semi-Truck with ease. If we are relatives transportation is in our lineage. Be well.

Michael D. McDonough

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gillen/McDonough
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline mdmcdonough82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks much! I just need to find the time to poperly examine these microfilms

Be well 

Offline Maryanne Fazio Fox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello - My grandmother was Winifried McDonough McBride who I believe is the daughter of Mary Gillen McDonough.  She died in 1908 when my mother was 5 years old.  My mother was Helen McBride Fazio who died at age 101 in 2004, one of 5 children of Winifried and Patrick James McBride. 

I have found the same info you mention going back to Sligo for the family, but sorry I don't have info before that either. 

I just wanted to say hello - Also do you know of other children of Mary Gillen McDonough and Patrick McDonough?  Because my grandmother died when my mother was young, I do not have a good deal of info about her family.  Also curious about those sea captain stories - LOL

Glad to connect

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Winifred (McDonagh) McBride died 1908 in Minnesota-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FD8L-SLQ

Her brother Thomas died there in 1934-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDDM-TP5
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maryanne Fazio Fox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information!  Wow

Offline mdmcdonough82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 18 04:09 GMT (UK) »
I hold a will from Rice County probate court from Patrick McDonough. Winifred was their daughter and received 1 dollar  Inheritance from Patrick. I have been to the cemetery where they are buried. Her brother Thomas is my great great grandfather.  Thomas had Earl McDonough who had a son Richard McDonough who had my father David McDonough. There is a story of one of the cousins moving west but we have been unable to track everything. I will talk to my grandpa in the morning and ask about the McBride cousins. I am certain he will know. I am utterly surprised that the internet can possibly connect us.