Author Topic: Elizabeth PRICE - Convict Birmingham to New South Wales and Eliza FOULKES  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elizabeth PRICE - Convict Birmingham to New South Wales and Eliza FOULKES
« on: Wednesday 13 April 16 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for any information on Elizabeth PRICE who came to Australia as a Convict on the Surrey in 1840. She married Thomas Page in 1844 and when pardoned they had the Lisence during the mid 1850's to mid 1860's of The Steam Engine Inn. I am trying to find her birth family in either Birmingham or Wales. There is no information on the Convict records other than native of Birmingham. She is the sister of my Great Great Grandmother Eliza Foulkes (note the different maiden names). Her birth date listed as 1820 and she died 1899. Eliza Foulkes (Elizabeth's sister) married Edward Land in Birmingham in 1835 and this family immigrated to New South Wales in 1858 and mentioned in the Ships Manifest that Elizabeth (Eliza) Page was sister of Eliza Land nee Foulkes under the heading of Relations in the Colony.

Eliza Foulkes parents were Margaret nee Humphreys and John Foulkes (possibly died 1822).
John Foulkes  father was Pryce Foulkes.

Any help/ideas much appreciated/
Thank you
Siousann
Annett : Bain : Land : North : Johnstone :

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth PRICE - Convict Birmingham to New South Wales and Eliza FOULKES
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
NOTE This post is duplicated on the Warwickshire board where replies are underway.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=746311.0;topicseen

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lau2104

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 16 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am also looking for help on my family. My grandfather is William Foulkes (mother cissie) born in the 1950's in Liverpool, England. He had 3 brothers, sadly one is deceased, and married Elizabeth Foulkes (nee hales and originally from Cornwall) at the beginning of the 70s in Liverpool. I know we have family in Australia but that is all right now and I would love to find out more.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 16 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Lau2014,

Could you return to your other post and answer a few questions on there?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=747518.msg5949493#msg5949493

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 May 16 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Elizabeth Price (Foulkes) came to New South Wales 1840 and on had 1 child to Thomas Page, she duied. aged 18 years in 1866.

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 May 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
whoops" sorry re spelling  "only had one child"  and "died:

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 May 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You mention that Thomas Page held the licence for the Steam Engine Inn in the 1850s.   The index has omitted several years ..so the index does not cover from May 1849 to April 1853.  He may well have held a licence in those years, although the index only shows from 1853.  He may also have held a licence while still under the Life sentence, prior to being issued with a Conditional Pardon.   The extant records do not seem to have his name with a publican's licence.   Transportation of Convicted persons to NSW effectively ceased in 1840.  Thomas Page received a Conditional Pardon in October 1849.   Many serving Life sentences received CPs in the late 1840s.   The December 1837 muster has him as assigned to a James OATLEY.  Perhaps the same James OATLEY who in the 1840s had the Sportsman Licence Cnr Pitt and Goulburn Streets, Sydney. 

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/professions-and-occupations/publicans/copy_of_publicans-licences#about-the-index

But this thread is about Elizabeth PRICE, who became Mrs PAGE, and you are asking for any information about her, including her parentage.

Here's some that I have gleaned from various New South Wales resources.  Perhaps these details will be helpful for some of the RChatters on the Montgomerbyshire Wales board where this thread is.

NSW BDM online index has Elizabeth PAGE as aged 79 years, died Sydney.  Death registration #236, date of death as 16 February 1899.

Probate Granted as per SMH 25 March 1899.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14206318

Thomas Page, 27 years, arrived under Life sentence per Bengal Merchant, married with permission of the Governor, Elizabeth PRICE, 24, arrived under 7 year sentence,  Permission dated 22 April 1844. 

From the Convict Indents
Elizabeth PRICE, 20, can read  (but not write), Protestant, single, Birmingham (native place), Housemaid and plain cook, sentenced for Burglary, tried Warwick Birmingham Quarter Session, 28 February 1840, received 7 year transportation sentence, 5 ft 3 inches, sallow complexion, brown hair, brown eyes,  Scar on inner corner of left eyebrow, scar on right cheek bone, mole under left ear, mark of a boil on upper and two similar marks inside lower left arm. 

Certificate of Freedom 47/413 dated 27 April 1847, for Elizabeth PRICE per Surrey 9 arriving July 1840, gives that she is the wife of Thomas Page who arrived per the ship Bengal Merchant

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Siouxann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 May 16 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this information,. and there is new info for me too, I amalso interested in Thomas Page her husband. Would there be any way of finding out who Elizabeth Price worked for either in Birmingham or New South Wales please?
Sue