Author Topic: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven  (Read 7260 times)

Offline Stormshaker88

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 05:09 GMT (UK) »
My name is Donna McLenaghan and my great great great grandmother was Ann Osborne and Robert Meighen was my cousin and the Arthur Meighen you are speaking of was Prime Minister of Canada for two terms. Arthur Meighen the Prime Minister was Robert Meighen's first cousin. I would love to talk more about this and learn more about my ancestors.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Donna  :)

When Gilby reads this, he will no doubt reply to you.

If you make at least one more post (just say Hi etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system for the exchange of personal data, such as e-mail address, with him/her.

KG  ☘️ ☘️

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donna!

Good to hear from you.  What is your line down from Charles McLenaghan and Ann Osborne (omit living people), and do you know anything more about their ancestors?  As Kiltaglassan says, you’ll be able to send personal messages after another post or two.

As far as I know, we’re still not certain who their parents were.  George Speer (who has also posted here) may correct me on that.

Last month I spent a bit of time trawling through the Registry of Deeds for mentions of the Osbornes and McClenaghans, and I did find quite a few.  Among other things, this turned up a link to Blair McClenaghan of Philadelphia and his brother(s).  I don’t think his hometown has previously been known.

I’ll post those extracts following this message.

Just to throw it out there – I have done DNA testing on FTDNA (data also on GEDmatch).

Regards,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Book 66 / Page 432 / Number 47316
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHW-C99V-4?i=527&cat=185720
Memorial of an indenture of lease dated 2nd Nov 1730 between Henry Carey of Dungiven on the 1st part; Robert McClenaghan and Alexr. McClenaghan both of Ballycaragan, parish of Bovevey, Gents, on the 2nd part.  Carey leased to the McClenaghans the lands of Ballycaragan, in the manor of Philliper, Barony of Kenaght, to have and to hold for the lives of Alexander McClenaghan, Edward Carrey son to said Henry Carrey, and William Osburne [Osborne] of Ballycraggan.  Witnessed by Thomas Torrens and John Downing of Dublin Gent.

Book 152 / Page 395 / Number 102258
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNH-XS5M-Y?i=209&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of lease dated 1st May 1746 between Lieut. Robert McClenaghan of Ballyhargan of the 1st part; Robert Osburn [Osborne] of Ballyhargan Gent of the 2nd part.  Whereby McClenaghan leased to Osborne the one quarter of Ballyhargan formerly possessed by John McCay (except that part of Ballyhargan called Teermilin [?] including garden, half an acre, and the house stead formerly occupied by Wm McClenaghan).  To have and to hold for the lives of the said Robert Osburn, Charles Sterling son of Charles Sterling of Gorteclare, and Samuel Long son of John Long of Dunronan, all in Co Londonderry, or 61 years, whichever lasts longer.  Said deeds contains several covenants and claises, including that Robert Osburn shall pay the yearly rents to Henry Torrens of Dungiven as guardian for Reba. McClenaghan wife of the sd Robt McClenaghan until the decease of said Rebecca.  And Robert McClenaghan does resign all privileges granted to him by the grand lease from Henry Cary Esq to the said Robert McClenaghan.  Witnessed by Geo. Osburn of Derryard, Co Londonderry, farmer; William McCay of Drum, Co Londonderry, farmer, now residing in America; and Charles Sterling of Gorteclare aforesaid.  Memorial witnessed by said Charles Sterling & Paul Limrick of Londonderry.  Registered by Charles Sterling, aged 53 or thereabouts, on 22nd Aug 1751.

Book 182 / Page 433 / Number 121456
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-3SNL-V?i=222&cat=185720
Memorial of a lease dated 8th Jan 1756 made between Lieut Robert McClenaghan of Ballyhargan on the 1st part; Samuel Osborn [Osborne] and William Osborn of Ballyhargan on the 2nd.  McClenaghan let to the Osborns the half quarter of Ballyhargan then and now in the possession of Samuel Osborn, for 61 years or the lives of said William Osborn, Robert Osborne son of Rev Joseph Osborn, and Samuel Sterling son to Charles Sterling of Gorticlare.  From the end of a former grant which the said Samuel Osborne holds from the said Robert McClenaghan from thenceforth fully to be completed and ended.  Witnessed by Alexr Sterling of Gorticlare, farmer, Malcolm Ferguson of Killyblughtin [??], farmer and Charles Sterling of Gortyclare, farmer, and William Ellett [Elliot?] of Ballyhargan, farmer.

Book 241 / Page 552 / Number 160912
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSN1-DS7S-R?i=284&cat=185720
Memorial of lease dated 8th Jan 1756 between Lieut. Robert McClenaghan of Ballychargan on the 1st part, and Samuel Osborne of Ballychargan on the other.  Robert McClenaghan let to Samuel Osborne the half quarter of Ballyhargan which was then in the possession of said Samuel Osborne son of John Osborne of Ballyhargan, except the part known as Termolin [?] and Lakys [?] thereis excepted unto the sd Robert McClenaghan his own house and garden etc.  To have and to hold unto the said Samuel Osborne for 61 years commencing from the death of Rebecca McClenaghan wife to Robert McClenaghan aforesaid.  By said deed it is also agreed that Robert McClenaghan and his heirs give all rights and privileges in the chief grant which they held from Coll Henry Carey that is to say to give to Samuel Osborne for 61 years or the natural lives of said Samuel Osborne, Alexander Osborne son of John Osborn of Ballharagan aforesaid, and Robert McClenaghan son to Alexander McClenaghan all of Ballyharagan aforesaid.  Witnessed by Alexander Sterling of Gortenclare and Malcolm Ferguson of Killyblight [?], farmers.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Book 232 / Page 450 / Number 153488
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSN1-897F-5?i=245&cat=185720
Memorial of articles of bargain made the 28th Jan 1762 between Alexander McClenahan of Bellyhargan on the 1st part; Samuel Osburn [Osborne] and William Osburn of the same on the other.  Alexander McClenaghan lets one quarter of Bellyhargan to Samuel Osburn and his wife Margaret for their lives and unto William Osburn who is to give to Alexander four quarts of hott water spirits over and above the yearly rent for the first 6 years, whereby Alexander assigns unto William Osburn the said quarter of Bellyhargan.  Witnessed by Alexander Sterling of Gorteclare, farmer, Mary Coloni singlewoman and William Ellet weaver both of Ballyhargan.

Book 289 / Page 682 / Number 195073
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-99JC-5?i=371&cat=185720
Memorial of a sale dated 22nd Dec 1772 between Robert McClanechan of Ballychargan, yeoman, sojourning in the City of Philadelphia, Province of Pennsylvania on the 1st part; Blair McClannachan of Philadelphia on the other.  For £500 Pennsylavnia money, Robert sold Blair one undivided moiety of land in Ballychargan held on lease for three lives renewable, by grant from Arthur Carey Esq to Robert McClenachan, grandfather of said Robert McClenachan party hereto.  Said grant to be free of all incumbrances made by the Grantor (Robert), his grandfather Robert or his father Alexander.  Witnessed by Archibald McIlwain and James Hunter of Londonderry mariner and Lewis Weiss of Philadelphia scrivinor.

Book 296 / Page 314 / Number 196551
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-M35L-6?i=179&cat=185720
Memorial of a release dated 21st May 1773 between Robert McClenaghan of Ballyhargan Gent, only son and heir at law of Alexander McClenaghan late of Ballyhargan Gent deceased; and William Osburn [Osborne] of Ballyharagan, gent, of the other part.  Robert McClenaghan sold to William Osborne all that land known as Ballycaragan.  To have and to hold for the lives of Edward Cary, son to the said Henry Cary, now the Right honourable Edward Cary, and William Osburn party hereto.  Witnessed by George McClellan of Straw, Co Londonderry, Gent., Henry Sloan of the city of Londonderry, Gent, and Andrew McFarland, Hostler to Frans. [?] Dougherty of the Waterside, innkeeper.

Book 316 / Page 53 / Number 209756
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-N9YG-T?i=38&cat=185720
Memorial of a release dated 19th Oct 1776 between Robert McClenaghan of Ballychargan, Co Londonderry, Gent and Mary his wife on the 1st part; Blair McClenaghan of the city of Philadelphia on the other.  Said Robert McClenaghan granted to Blair McClenaghan one undivided moiety of Ballychargan, for the lives of the Rt Hble Edward Cary, William Osburn [Osborne] and Saml Osburn, renewable forever.  Witnessed by Robert McClenaghan of Mulcheragh, Co Londonderry, William Moore of the city of Londonderry, merchant, and Charles McClenaghan junior of Mossville in the Co of Tyrone, Gent.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Book 402 / Page 355 / Number 265054
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-QC9M?i=200&cat=185720
Memorial of a sale dated 30th Oct 1788 between Arthur Blair of Strabane, Co Tyrone, innkeeper on the 1st part; James Galbraith of the city of Londonderry attorney of the other.  Blair sold to Galbraith the half of the lands of Ballyhargan sold to him by Blair McClenaghan of Philadelphia Esq. 

Book 473 / Page 541 / Number 309806
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-PDX4?i=588&cat=185720
Deed of marriage articles dated 25th March 1794 between Wm Osborne of Ballyhargin, Gent, and the Revd Joseph Osborne of Bracklin, Co Longford of the 1st part; Mary Mease of Gortin, Co Donegal, spinster of the 2nd part; William Law of Derry, Esq and John Mease of Strabane, Co Tyrone, gent, of the 3rd part.  William Osborne granted to William Law and John Maze his lands in Ballyharigan to suffer unto Mary Mease £18 annuity in case she survived her then intended husband the Rev Joseph Osborne, the said Joseph Osborne retaining the right to dispose of the said land among the children of said marriage.  Said Joseph Osborne also gave £300 to William Law and John Mease to be lent out for the purposes of making a fair provision for said Mary Mease in case she should outlive her husband.  Witnessed by the Rev John Law of Nanagher, Co Derry, and Thomas Stevenson of Lifford, Co Donegal attorney.

Book 597 / Page 55 / Number 405223
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-33XG-X?i=331&cat=185720
Memorial of deed dated 26th Jan 1807 between Wm Osborne of Ballyhagan senior and Wm Osborne of Ballyhagan junior his 3rd surviving son.  William Osborne senior, for considerations therin mentioned and the love and affection for his son, granted to William Osborne junior one full undivided moiety of the townland of Ballyhargan to hold for the lives in the original lease, renewable forever.  Witnesses John and Joseph McCay of Drum, farmers. 

Book 587 / Page 310 / Number 398220
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSHS-B9M9-7?i=164&cat=185720
Memorial of a conveyance dated 28th Jan 1807 between Wm Osborne of Ballyhargan, Senior on the 1st part; Samuel Osborne of Ballyhargan his eldest son surviving of the other part.  William Osborne, for the considerations therein mentioned and the love and affection for his son did grant to Samuel the part of the Croft formerly occupied by the late Robert Osborne and one acre of the Croft north of the mearing, and also all the fields south of said Samuel’s house and as now occupied by him and his undertenants with all the woo and pasture thereunto belonging and also Di?muchstavil [??] and the stock farm with also all the houses and lands now in the possession of Joseph Osborne, Jacob Douglas, John Gamble, George Eless, John Calhoun, and Ephraim Capbell and their undertenants all said lands and tenements lying and being in the townland of Ballyhargan.  To hold said Samuel Osborne for the lives in the original lease, renewable, subject to certain clauses etc.  Witnessed by William McCausland of Dungiven, innkeeper and James Early of Ballyhargan yeoman.  Memorial witnessed by said James Early and Alexander Boyle of Newtownlimacady.

Book 592 / Page 540 / Number 405908
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-PS37-6?i=325&cat=185720
Memorial of marriage settlement dated 9th Feb 1807 between William Osborne Junr of Ballyhargan on the 1st part; George Ledle of Ballygonny parish of Tamlah on the 2nd part; Martha Ledlie of Ballygonny daughter of the said George Ledlie on the 3rd part.  Wm Osborne grants to George Ledlie his one undivided moiety of Ballyhargan for the use of said William Osborne and after his death for his future wife Martha Ledlie and their issue.  Martha to have a jointure of £30pa.  Witnesses James Crawford Ledloe of Doneygore [Donegore] Co Antrim and John Hamilton of Ballygonny farmer.  Memorial executed by said William Osborne in the presence of said John Hamilton and George Ledlie Jnr of Ballygonny.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Book 55 / Page 305 / Number 37052
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSN1-6SB3-D?i=470&cat=185720
Memorial of a lease dated 17th January 1716 [possibly a miss-transcription of 1726] between Captain Arthur Cary of Derryard on the 1st part, and Robert McClenaghan of Ballycargan on the other, both of the manor of Pelliper.  Cary let to McClenaghan the whole townland of Ballycargan (with some exceptions) for 21 years from 1st Nov 1726.  Rent of £50, twelve day’s labour of man and horse or 12 shillings, two fat muttons or five shillings, twelve hens or four shillings, plus service at the courts of the manor, and grinding corn etc at the mill of the manor.  Witnesses Christopher Taffe of Derryard, gent, Bryan O‘Cahan of Dungiven, gent, and Samuel Osburne [Osborne] of Ballycargan, gent.  Memorial affected by Robert McClenaghan in the presence of said Samuel Osburn, and John Reilly of the city of Dublin, Gent.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Book 707 / Page 61 / Number 484196
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-LF6R?i=33&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of assignment dated 28th Jun 1810 between James Boyle of Banbrook [?] in the Co of Londonderry on the one part; and Wm Osburne [Osborne] junr of Ballyhargan on the other.  Boyle granted to Osburne the woods in Ballyhargan called Altmover Wood (except that part thereof then in the possession of Samuel Osborne) forever.  Witnessed by John Campbell of Dungiven and Hu [?] Boyle of Ballygeine [?].

Book 707 / Page 62 / Number 484197
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-LFXF?i=34&cat=185720
Memorial of a lease and release dated 18th Jun 1810 between James Boyle of Banbrook [?] on the one part; and Samuel Osborne of Ballyhargan on the other.  Boyle sold to Osborne the wood known as Altmover Wood in the townland of Ballyhargan.  Witnessed by Hu. Boyle of Ballyguin [?] and John Campbell of Dungiven.

Book 719 / Page 260 / Number 491595
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ9-BKC2?i=133&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed dated 18th Sep 1817 between John Hopkins and Samuel Hopkins of Ballyhargan on the one part; Wm Osborne also of Ballyhargan on the other.  Hopkins sold to Osborne for £70 their lease of land in Ballyhargan held under the said Osborne.  Witnesses John Gamble senior and John Gamble junior.

Book 751 / Page 176 / Number 510711
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJS-H9VY-V?i=89&cat=185720
Memorial of a lease and release dated 15th and 16th Dec 1818 made between Samuel Osborne of Ballyhargan, gent on the 1st part; the Rev Joseph Osborne of Newtownards on the 2nd; and James Douglass of Ardnariff, Co Londonderry on the 3rd.  In consideration of an agreement between Samuel and Joseph Osborne, and £10 paid by James Douglass to Samuel Osborne, said Samuel Osborne agreed to sell to Douglass that part of the Croft formerly occupied by the late Robert Osborne, and one acre of the Croft north of the mearing in said Croft, and also the fields south of said Samuel’s house, and also Dermackstavil [??] ad=nd he stock farm with all the appurtenances belonging thereto, and also the houses and lands then as lately in the possession of Josh Osborne, Jacob Douglass, John Gable, George [?] Ellis, John Colhoon and Ephraim Campbel and their undertenants.  All said lands and tenements being in the townland of Ballyhargan held by lease for lives renewable forever under Henry Cary Esq deceased.  And also that part of the said Ballyhargan commonly called the Altmover Wood then in the possession of said Samuel Osborne.  All premises to hold unto James Douglas for lives renewable, subject to the chief rent, upon trust for the uses, intents and purposes mentioned and contained in the said deed [not listed in the memorial].  Witnessed by Henry O’Kane Cross town [?] of Dungiven, and William Osborne of Ballyhargan.

Book 768 / Page 431 / Number 521166
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-7G5V?i=248&cat=185720
Memorial of deed of reconveyance dated 5th Jan 1822 between Jenry Blacker of Millburn, Co Londonderry Esq on the 1st part; William Osborne of Ballyhargan Gent and the Rev Joseph Osborne of Newtownards on the 2nd; Robert Gray of Dungiven Gent on the 3rd.  Henry Blacker, in pursuance of agreements therein, and £800 paid by Robert Gray, being proper monies of the said William Osborne and the Rev Joseph Osborne, did grant unto said Robert Gray 100a in Ballyhargan townland, reserving the right for Henry Blacker to carry on quarrying.  [Plus various other incomprehensible legal stuff.]  Witnesses Robert McNaghten of Coleraine, and John Boyle of Dungiven.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Book 770 / Page 116 / Number 522051
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-SQTB-L?i=395&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed dated 5th Jan 1822 between Robert Gray of Dungiven, Gent on the 1st part; William Osborne of Ballyhargan, Gent, and Rev. Joseph Osborne ot Newtownards, on the 1nd part; and Henry Blacker of Milburn Esq on the 3rd.  Robert Gray granted to Henry Blacker the freestone quarries on the lands of Ballycarrigan otherwise Ballyhargan.  Witnessed by Robert McNaghten and John Boyle attorneys at law.

Book 772 / Page 427 / Number 523562
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-MC35?i=536&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of appointment dated 15th Apr 1822 between the Rev Joseph Osborne of Newtownards on the 1st part; Jane Osborne of Newtownards spinster, the elder daughter of said Joseph on the 2nd part; and Elizabeth Margaret Osborne of Newtownards, spinster, the younger daughter of the said Joseph of the 3rd part.  Joseph Osborne (according to the powers granted to him by a deed dated 25th Mar 1794 between William Osborne since deceased and said Joseph Osborne on the 1st part, and Mary Mease therein named of the 2nd part, and William Law and John Mease of the 3rd part) grants that part of Ballyhargan townland known as Tyrmalin Knocknalara Keane’s division on/or Cornamony Springhill Monanaloughagh and that part known by the name of the Old Town of Ballyhargan occupied by William Osborne the younger brother of said Joseph, James Thomson and Henry McClosky, together with the farms formerly held by John Hopkins and Matthew Cook, also the lands and premises then in the occupation of Samuel Osborne the elder brother of said Joseph with the dwelling house theron, and the farms held by Jacob and James Douglas and Samuel Early together with all houses etc theron.  To hold the said Jane Osborne from and after the decease of said Joseph Osborne in as full a manner as held by him, for lives renewable.  And further, the said Joseph Osborne did appoint unto the said Elisabeth Margaret Osborne as her share of Ballyhargan that part of lands then in the possession of John Gamble, George Ellis, Ephraim Campbell and John Colhoun together with that part known by the name of the Stockfarm and Dirmuckstavel then in the occupation and possession of the said Joseph Osborne.  To hold unto the said Elizabeth Margaret Osborne in as ample a manner as they were held by the said William Osborne deceased, for lives renewable.  Said lands subject to the payment of £18 annuity to the said Mary Mease otherwise Osborne the wife of the said Joseph during her natural life in case she survives Joseph.  Witnessed by Rev William Mortimer clerk and James Kirkpatrick both of Newtownards.

Book 772 / Page 428 / Number 523563
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-MZVR?i=537&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed of conveyance dated 17th Apr 1822 between the Rev. Joseph Osborne of Newtownards on the 1st part; Jane Osborne of Newtownards spinster the elder daughter on the 2nd part; and William Osborne of Ballyhargan Gent brother of the said Joseph, on the 3rd part.  Joseph Osborne and Jane Osborne, according to their respective titles, did grant unto William Osborne all that part of Ballyhargan townland known as Tyrmalin Knocknalara Keane’s division on/or Cornamony Springhill Monanaloughagh and that part known by the name of the Old Town of Ballyhargan then occupied by the said William Osborne, James Thompson and Henry McCloskey, together the farms formerly held by John Hopkins and Mathew Cook.  Subject only to the annuity of £18 payable to said Joseph Osborne and after his death to his wife Mary Mease otherwise Osborne during her life.  And after both their deaths then payable to the said Jane Osborne and her sister Elizabeth Margaret Osborne during the continuance of the lease renewable forever, reserving their right to cut turf etc to be spent on said Joseph and Jane Osborne’s remaining part of the said town and lands of Ballyhargan (not thereby granted).  Witnessed by Rev. William Mortimer clerk and James Kirkpatrick gent both of Newtownards.