Author Topic: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Kakariki2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Osbornes of Ballyhargan, Dungiven
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 May 21 05:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it looks like I wasn’t very helpful a couple of years ago when Debby was trying to find Altmover!  I must have forgotten to reply.  :-[

In the past week I’ve learned that my 3xg grandfather Samuel Osborne McCausland’s mother was Isabella Osborne, daughter of William Osborne.  This comes from an Osborne family bible.  I’m hoping to find out more in the coming weeks.

My great-grandmother was Isabella Maise Osborne Anderson she was, I believe, the Granddaughter of Samuel Glenn and (possibly) Mary McCausland. Mary being the daughter of Isabella Osborne.
I would like to find out more about the Osborne family bible – hoping it may confirm some family linkages.

Offline kingstondonaldson981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 31 October 21 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I got saw your post on Google, as I was researching the Osborne/Scott families. My 3rd G Grandmother was (born 1798) Catherine Scott/Mrs William Donaldson from the Donagheady Church/Parish area. Her parents were Mrs Osborne and Alexander Scott. I know nothing about her background. I am also researching another Donaldson family. Rev. Nehemiah Donaldson (1685-1747) who preached in Castlederg, who had a daughter Ann (1710/15-1787) who married Mathew Edwards. Same Edwards family who married into the Osbornes. I have no cause to believe at this point the two Donaldson lines are related. But they are both connected to the Edwards family, so it is something I am researching right now. I just received a copy of the Edwards family tree and will be reviewing it shortly. On a closing note, Catherine Scott Donaldson's first child was named Samuel. Another bit of information that might be relevant. I can be reached directly at                 , if anybody has any background information for me, appreciated.   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline kingstondonaldson981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 November 21 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I am writing again to clarify some facts from my first post, and to address "Gilby"; my 3rd G Grandmother was Catherine Scott/Mrs William Donaldson, her father was Alexander Scott & Mrs Osborne--some people have given her the name Nancy Osborne some Martha, I understand why now. Both were daughters of Samuel Osborne & Mary Edwards. Mary Edwards, daughter of Henry Edwards & his wife Mary (who was widowed when her 1st husband an Osborne passed away). Then her daughter Mary wed Samuel Osborne. If I understand your previous posting, that makes us cousins through Samuel & Mary Edwards. You stated one of their daughters was your grandmother?Mary Edwards, wife of Samuel Osborne & daughter of Henry Edwards, had an G Aunt Ann Donaldson, who married her father Henry's brother Mathew Edwards. Ann Donaldson/Mrs Mathew Edwards was a daughter of Rev Nehemiah Donaldson. Rev. Donaldson had known two kids, Ann & a son John Donaldson who became a Doctor----I believe that John Donaldson born around 1720, to be my 5th G Grandfather....Hoping we can communicate soon.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 December 21 13:11 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandmother was Isabella Maise Osborne Anderson she was, I believe, the Granddaughter of Samuel Glenn and (possibly) Mary McCausland. Mary being the daughter of Isabella Osborne.
I would like to find out more about the Osborne family bible – hoping it may confirm some family linkages.

Just to confirm for anyone looking on, I have been in touch with Kakariki, whose ancestor Mary Glenn née McCausland was indeed a daughter of my 4x g grandparents William McCausland and Isabella Osborne.  He is also a DNA match to one of my McCausland cousins.

Also now working on bottoming out the connection to Mr. Donaldson who posted above!

Offline alison.claire

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 December 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello All!

We have the same history crazy! I followed a rabbit hole to here. We have the same printed information in our family that has been passed down and have no idea where it came from.. Fascinating! Are we all entitled to a castle in Ireland? Because thats been the joke in our family for years!

While very unlikely, would be insanely cool to go see this....property?? Pile of stones? Some day. We can all share its location and grab photos there to add to our ancestry for the next generation.

Our family has a real romeo&juliet, murder mystery vibe and it ends up being connected to the history of one of our old prime ministers of Canada! WILD.

Gilby thank you SOO much for all your hard work on this. Please if anyone here would like to travel this rabbit hole more with me, I would love to connect and dig deeper.

I am of the Meaghan / Downey bloodline.

Thanks Famjam!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.