Author Topic: Missing William Watson Herefordshire  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing William Watson Herefordshire
« on: Friday 15 April 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
William Watson b. 1707 son of Thomas Watson and Chrysogon Coningesby [widow of Thomas Coningesby of Grendon Warren-but nee Emes] he married Betty Mansfield b. Ullingswick 1717 the daughter of Rev. Henry Mansfield of Ullingswick, at Edvin Ralph 1735

They had the following children-
Thomas Coningsby Watson b: 24th September 1745 in Bredenbury, Hereford
 Anne Watson c: 8 Mar 1743 in Bromyard, Hereford, England
Elizabeth Watson c: 21 Dec 1736 in Docklow, Herefordshire
 Penelope Watson
 Chrysogen Watson
 Martha Watson b: 7 Aug 1747 in Humber, Herefordshire

His brother Thomas Watson lived at Stoke Prior Herefordshire where he and some of his family were buried. There is a William Watson also buried there in 1790 aged 83 so I think this is possibly my William Watson [b.1707]
However despite many searches on local and national sites, I cannot find where William and Betty lived or were after the birth of my direct ancestor Thomas Coningesby Watson 1745 [above]
Can anyone help?
Watson (Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Norfolk/Yorkshire)
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
(Westmeath Ireland/Hull east Yorkshire)
Grey (Buildwas Abbey Shropshire)
Hungerford-
 South Marston/Salisbury/Lincolnshire Wilts

Offline eleanor.harris253

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing William Watson Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Diocese of Hereford Marriage Licence for William Watson & Elizabeth. Although the couple were of no interest to me, I happened to make a note many years ago that their Marriage Licence still exists - and is at the Herefordshire Archive Service (formerly known as the Herefordshire Record Office. It is in the bundle for 1735. The Marriage Licence should have William's occupation - which may be of use in thinking about where he might have gone in continuing his career. As he married a clergyman's daughter, he surely was either a gent or an educated man.
Jean Dobson of Hereford

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Jean/Eleanor I will check that out!

As to his status, I have seen him mentioned on various Watson Wills, but while his brother Thomas' children are mentioned by name-William's are only referred to as 'the children of'! No-one ever mentions where he lives!
His mother Chrysogon Watson [buried Pershore 1753] leaves William £500 in her Will. However she
actually leaves it to William's half brother Rev George Coningesby Vicar of Bodenham and rector of Pencombe [Chrysogon's son from her first marriage] to invest for him [?] She even left William's inmourning to be purchased by George [?]
When George dies, he mentions his mother's bequest to William Watson and passes on the management of the investment to his executors-one of whom was John Ingram Attorney of Bewdley.

Is this because there has been some sort of dispute between Chryogon and her Coningesby children
and William Watson ? The Watson family were from Bengeworth, Evesham for many years, but I have also search in Worcestershire without success!
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
Hungerford-

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 16 01:59 BST (UK) »
You have a very interesting problem. Having read your words re half-brother Rev George Coningsby having control over William Watson's money (bequeathed to William by his mother), I greatly suspect that there is a reason why William Watson was believed to be unable to handle his own finances (i.e. the £500). The reasons which come to mind are - physical ill health, mental ill health, a spendthrift nature, or the demon alcohol. Another slight possibility is that the wife of William Watson was the problem. Wealthy families were very capable of putting their relatives into a quiet retirement. So, it may be almost impossible to discover the whereabouts of William Watson after the baptism of son Thomas Coningsby Watson & before his death (i.e. William Watson's death some before 1790) If this problem were mine, I would throw all my efforts into discovering the education of son T.C. Watson. Something else which I find curious is that each of William's children were baptised at a different parish. That suggests to me that he did not own the freehold or leasehold on a house in any of the locations - so he, his wife, & children must have been the guests of someone with a freehold or leasehold house.
Jean Dobson of Hereford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
I will be at Herefordshire Archive Service on Tuesday. I will look at the 1735 Marriage Licence of William Watson. I will also have a quick look at the Stoke Prior records - just in case there is something there about your William Watson. By the way, your William Watson did not vote in any of the few (very few) elections for the County of Hereford. The person who keeps "popping up" is Rev William Watson of Monnington, Herefordshire - who was about 10+ years older than your William Watson. Given the many clergymen in your 18th century ancestry, it is natural to wonder whether he was a close relative of your ancestors.
Jean Dobson of Hereford

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 April 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean, This is so kind of you to take this trouble! Thank you so much!

As I live in Yorkshire I have to make notes for future research visits to Herefordshire/Worcestershire, which now that I'm 71 are not so frequent
You are obviously knowledgeable about history. Your theories about the possible waywardness of William have occurred to me from time to time-although not with any pleasure  :-\
As to his son, my ancestor Thomas Coningesby Watson, I have also had little research luck in Herefordshire after his birth. He obviously received an education, for when I found him in Norfolk [working backwards in the traditional Family History way] he was the land steward to the Wodehouse family of Kimberley [same family as the later P.G. Wodehouse] I have found many documents in his beautiful hand.  He married at Wymondham in 1775 but lived at Crownthorpe on the edge of the Kimberley estate. He was the Church warden at Crownthorpe. Part of his work was to organise the Crownthorpe Enclosure Act. I have details of his travel expenses to London and his appearance in Parliament to give evidence. At some time while still employed by the Wodehouses,
 Thomas started a brickmaking business for himself in Wymondham. I visited the archives there, where I found numerous documents about the business-plus a hand written part pedigree showing his origins in Herefordshire!
By the way, Thomas did not have the Coningesby middle name because of his mother's first husband Thomas Coningesby of Grendon. He had it because of his own great grandmother Cecily Coningesby, who was married to Rev William Watson of Sutton Coldfield. This Cecily was of the Hampton Wafer Coningesby branch-the senior branch but obviously not as famous, or rich, as the Hampton Court lot!
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
Hungerford-

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
I found the Marriage Licence for William Watson 1735. He described himself as "yeoman" - which usually had two meanings at that time. I photographed the Marriage Licence on a digital camera. Please tell me where I can send it to.
By the way, did you know that several of William's daughters married at Leominster & Stoke Prior - by Marriage Licence. I think it fair to say that William Watson, wife Elizabeth and daughters continued to live in that area until at least 1669 (a marriage year for a daughter). When next at the Archives, I would be pleased to get copies of those Marriage Licences. At least one of the daughters married a clergyman - which makes me hopeful that her father William had not disgraced himself in any way. Perhaps he had a serious illness or a serious injury.
Jean Dobson of Hereford.

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Jean,
                    Very interested in what you found!

This site does not allow us to give out personal details-addresses/emails.

I sent a message to you through the personal message facility via Eleanor

Best Wishes

Barry
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
Hungerford-