Author Topic: William WINDOW of Gloucester m. Maria who, where & when?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William WINDOW of Gloucester m. Maria who, where & when?
« on: Saturday 16 April 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
I believe my grandmother's grandfather Edwin (occasionally Edward) WINDOW was the youngest son of cabinetmaker William WINDOW of Gloucester (c.1769-1822?) and his wife Maria (c.1786-1850?). They had at least four children christened in Gloucester:

1814 Louisa WINDOW at St Mary de Lode
1816 Ann WINDOW at St Catherine
1818 Samuel WINDOW at St Mary de Lode
1820 Edwin WINDOW (of St Catherine) at St Mary de Lode

In several trees submitted to Ancestry they are conflated with the family of a weaver named William WINDOW and his wife Maria (possibly née RICKETS, m. 1818) of Horsley, about 20 miles south of Gloucester. William WINDOW and Maria BOWER were married much closer to Gloucester (at Churchdown, towards Cheltenham) but not until 1815, more than a year after Louisa's baptism, so I feel unable to claim descent from them without corroboration. The marriage of William WINDOW and Ann LIMBRICK (both of Woolridge, according to the banns register) at St Mary de Lode in 1812 would be easier to accept if it didn't entail a change of Maria's name. No more likely weddings are apparent in the sources I've seen, including the Gloucestershire Diocese marriage indexes compiled by the county's family history society, so I'd be grateful for any assistance.

The cabinetmaker's daughters Louisa and Ann were probably both buried at St Nicholas in August 1832, when Louisa was 18. Ann's age was not recorded, making identification less certain; "Longford" was added in the margin of the burial register beside her entry.

Samuel WINDOW (1818-1877?) was a soldier with the 38th (1st Staffordshire) Regiment of Foot from 1836 to 1855 and subsequently a Staff Sergeant with the Royal South Gloucestershire Militia or 61st (South Gloucestershire) Regiment of Foot. His wife Rebecca was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. She may have returned to Canada after the deaths of her daughters Ann(i)e Rebecca WINDOW (at 3 Raglan Terrace, Bristol Road, Gloucester, in 1878) and Maria ARTHUR (at Pietermaritzburg, Natal, South Africa, in 1880). Their elder brother James Edwin (b. Portsmouth 1852) was a stonemason in 1881, lodging with the family of his cousin Charlotte Louisa ORGAR in West Ham.

My ancestor Edwin WINDOW (c.1820-1898) settled in London. I suspect he was a private with the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards at Regents Park Barracks in 1841, having deserted soon after the census in June and re-joined in early August. By the following year he was a cordwainer, signing his name as Edward when he married Elizabeth DAWES at Christ Church, Southwark. He was still making shoes while serving as a police constable in Wandsworth in 1851, before moving to Plaistow, West Ham, where he became a dock labourer.

If his father was the William WINDOW of Gloucester who was buried at St Catherine aged 53 in 1822, Edwin's grandparents could well be John WINDOW and Mary HALL of Gloucester, both of whom signed the marriage register in the parish of St John the Baptist in 1764. Their children, baptized in the same parish, include William (1769) and Thomas (1782). Thomas was another cabinetmaker in Gloucester. He married Hannah TOWNLEY at St Nicholas in 1815.

William's widow Maria WINDOW appears to have become Maria GOODENOUGH of Kingsholm, buried at St Mary de Lode in 1850 aged 63. She was living in the extraparochial hamlet of Littleworth with Charles GOODENOUGH (c.1790-1861?) in 1831, when they were married at Hempsted, a mile or two south of Gloucester. But where and when did she marry William WINDOW?

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William WINDOW of Gloucester m. Maria who, where & when?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
If you look at the records on the Forest of Dean Family History

http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

There are quite a number of WINDOW records

at least 13 William WINDOW's who married by Marriage Allegation or Licence

including

26 June 1795

William WINDOW - aged 24 Batchelor (c1771) - as his bride was older, ?was this his correct age

residence: Cirencester

Martha NORRIS - aged 25 Spinster

residence: Stratton

Marriage by Licence: He signs
Event type: Marriage Allegation

Sworn before Chas PALMER to marry in the Parish Church of Stratton
---

Gloucestershire Burial Index Cd

Gloucester St Catherine

William WINDOW - 8 September 1822 - aged 53 (c1769)

? Have you checked Wills

Ancestry records include : UK Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices Indentures 1710-1811

---

? Why was William WINDOW at Churchdown - ie family links

The marriage at Churchdown Gloucester of William WINDOW and Maria BOWER 1815

? who were the witnesses

? a Jane BOWERS married Richard HANMAN at Churchdown - 25 June 1815.  Their children were all christened at Gloucester St Nicholas (Richard was a Confectioner)

The Forest of Dean records

Year: 1815
Richard HANMAN of this Parish
Jane BOWERS of this Parish
Bans called 9 and 16 April 1815
Memoranda: Not married

---
so married at Churchdown

Forest of Dean website records

Robert WINDOW married Sarah ALLEN at Churchdown by Licence: 19 May 1787

and buried 7 September 1828 aged 40 (Gloucestershire Burial Index from 1813)

3 other burials at CHURCHDOWN

Robert WINDOW - 28 December 1819 aged 63
Hesther WINDOW - 23 August 1821 aged 21
Sarah WINDOW - 22 July 1832 aged 75

Gloucestershire Baptism Index CD from 1813

Mary WINDOW - mother Elizabeth (nd) - 1 January 1815

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 16 15:58 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Capetown. I hadn't heard of the Forest of Dean Family History Trust. The extensive database of marriage licence records is particularly useful. Ancestry had indexed William's surname as WINDACE for the wedding of Martha NORRIS at Stratton on 10 Aug. 1795. His signature is remarkably similar to Mary BOWER's husband William WINDOW's at Churchdown in 1815, so I'll definitely be exploring her family.

I've not yet found any relevant wills. With a sister named Elizabeth BOWYER of Gloucester, army agent James WINDOW of London (PCC 1814) looked promising, but he was probably far too wealthy!

Thanks again
David

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 01:36 BST (UK) »
Any Werrett connections to this Goodenough thread?

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.