Author Topic: Robert Brown born about 1810, husband of Margaret Graves  (Read 565 times)

Offline gramsearch4family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Brown born about 1810, husband of Margaret Graves
« on: Sunday 17 April 16 19:54 BST (UK) »
Robert BROWN born about 1810 (according to 1851 Chatham, Northumberland, New Brunswick, Canada); married Margaret GRAVES (born about 1816; names given on son Peter Brown's marriage record 1885 Logan, Harrison, Iowa). Came to Canada before 1851 (earliest census record found). Their children: Marjory, Robert, Mary, Peter, John, William, and Margaret. Margaret (Graves) apparently died between 1851 and 1855, when Robert marries Ann NOBLE. It may be that the first 2 or 3 children were born in Scotland. I do know that Peter was born in New Brunswick. Robert is still living at the time of the 1891 Newcastle, Northumberland, New Brunswick census. Robert's occupation in Canada was both farmer and blacksmith. He reports on census that he and his parents were born in Scotland.

Without knowing where in Scotland to search for him, I thought this general Scotland board would be a good place to start.

It may be that a close relative of Robert was Richard Gibson Brown who also came to Canada or the US prior to 1844. Richard married Rebecca MOORE 1844 Rock Island County, Illinois and is my 2nd great grandfather. Most of Richard and Rebecca's children settled in the Logan, Harrison County, Iowa area as did Robert's son Peter.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.
all the best,
Beth