Author Topic: Intention to Marry - late March 1870 Catherine Benson to William Morement - NZ  (Read 4928 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'd be grateful if someone would look up this couple please if it's not too much trouble.

Some trees have her as a member of the family of George Thomson and Helen Leadbetter who arrived in Dunedin on The Jura in 1858 and lived at Pine Hill in Dunedin (who are related to the Boyer and Fiveash families that have been discussed in earlier threads).

The Thomson family originates from Eddleston and the Leadbetters from Penicuik.

However her burial details at Purewa in Auckland say she is Australian and her will doesn't mention any Thomson relatives, so I'm wondering whether the ITM may have some clues.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Intention to Marry - late March 1870 Catherine Benson to William Morement - NZ
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello hurworth

An Intention to Marry notice is not (unfortunately) a substitute for a marriage record, so will not contain details of parents.   
[It might only prove helpful if one of the parties was "under the legal age for marriage" in which case the person giving permission, is generally noted on the ITM.   e.g.  "Thomas JONES, father of the bride". ]  ;)

Incidentally, I did notice that NZ BDM (online) has the bridegroom's surname spelled as "MOVEMENT". 
1870/48818 - Catherine BENSON - William MOVEMENT 
[Another resource, NZSG Marriages Index also has that same spelling. ]

*  Are the family trees you mention, available online ???      If you can provide a link to same, then I'm happy to search further for you.   ;)

~  Lu

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Intention to Marry - late March 1870 Catherine Benson to William Morement - NZ
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Lucy.

The surname has been transcribed incorrectly when it was indexed.  It would be easy to mistake an r for a v.

This is probably the most accessible tree

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:419960&id=I235

I'm reluctant to order the marriage or death printouts because I'm not convinced she is the correct person.   

Pointers that wouldn't rule out her being the correct person would be if she was marrying at a Presbytarian church or that of another family member (her first marriage was at her father's house in Pine Hill) and was a widow.

If she is a spinster and marrying in a Catholic church then I'm sure it's not the correct person.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
What name is she under in Purewa?

Cheers Janette

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
What name is she under in Purewa?

Cheers Janette

Findmypast says she is Kathleen Morement, and Australian.

But it also says the inscription on the headstone says:

Inscription   ILMO William the beloved husband of Catherine MOREMENT d 8 Jun 1919.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hurworth   ;)

... meantime I'd found some trees (most with repetitious info ... and a little unhelpful  ;D ).

*   My next question was to have asked if Catherine was perhaps a widow at the time of her marriage to William MOREMENT  in 1870 ???

My reason for asking was that I'd spotted a marriage of a Catherine THOMSON to Thomas BENSON in Otago (Dunedin) in 1866.  [That was before I'd seen the link you gave to the tree at rootsweb.   ;) ]

~  Lu

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
The burials in Purewa are spelt MORMONT

Surname   MORMONT
First Names   William
Age   85 Years
Gender   Male
Date of Death   08 Jun 1919
Religion   Not Listed
Serial No   6954
Funeral Director   T J Mc Ivor & Sons Ltd, 434 Karangahape Road, Auckland
Cemetery   Purewa Cemetery
Location   Block F Row 46 Plot 155
Date of Service and/or Interment   11 Jun 1919

Surname   MORMONT
First Names   Kathleen
Age   70 Years
Gender   Female
Date of Death   11 Sep 1925
Religion   Not Listed
Serial No   8810
Funeral Director   T J Mc Ivor & Sons Ltd, 434 Karangahape Road, Auckland
Cemetery   Purewa Cemetery
Location   Block F Row 46 Plot 155
Date of Service and/or Interment   14 Sep 1925

Cheers Janette

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hurworth   ;)

... meantime I'd found some trees (most with repetitious info ... and a little unhelpful  ;D ).

*   My next question was to have asked if Catherine was perhaps a widow at the time of her marriage to William MOREMENT  in 1870 ???

My reason for asking was that I'd spotted a marriage of a Catherine THOMSON to Thomas BENSON in Otago (Dunedin) in 1866.  [That was before I'd seen the link you gave to the tree at rootsweb.   ;) ]

~  Lu

Presbytarian archives in Dunedin have that 1866 record - she married at home in Pine Hill.

She is recorded in several trees as remarrying to William "Movement" but I'm not sure that she did.  One reason I am unsure is that I can't find any record of Thomas Benson's death between 1866 and 1870.