Author Topic: James McGuffog  (Read 1845 times)

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James McGuffog
« on: Tuesday 19 April 16 02:37 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone could help me with information concerning "Nethertown" Kirkpatrick Durham
In the 1941 Census James McGuffog was described as a farmer in Nethertown, aged 35, I believe he was a tenant, so not sure if he was renting or working for someone else, and I am presuming it was a farm not a town, how do I find this out, also what he would have been farming I think it may have been potatoes, there were also farm servants listed so I am presuming he was renting, and is this now what they call Nethertown of Croys
thankyou
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James McGuffog
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi if he is the same James Mcguffog on 1851 census aged 47 with wife Ann & large family, he is a Farmer of 260 Acres Employing 5 Labourers residing at Neikle ( think this is MEIKLE) Cocklick, Urr, Kircudbrightshire.
Keyboard86

PS presume you were viewing the 1841 census not the 1941!!

PPS Didn't you have masses of help some time ago re this family plus other relatives??
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 04:17 BST (UK) »
Yes it is the same one, and yes I did mean 1841, and No  I didn't really get a mass of help, I did put up a lot of info but didn't find anything too much extra
McGuffog, Grieve, Broadfoot, Flett, Rigg, Riddick, Gillies, Jobson, Gillies, Bath, Hanna, Betterridge, Ellem,

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 04:26 BST (UK) »
 ;D Well if he had 260 acres worth of Potatoes to pick, I would have thought he would have employed more than 5 Labourers, more than likely he was farming cattle/sheep/oats I would think?

Keyboard86

Offline tomba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 05:18 BST (UK) »
So the 260 acres was at Meikle Cocklick where I found him in the 1851 Census, but the 1841 census just names him at Nethertown and a farmer. I found the following info on Meikle Cocklick
"The farm of Meikle Cocklick is now known as Broadlea, and is near to Hardgate. James McGuffog was named as the occupier of the farm and the Proprietor was a Mr. John Muir of Loudon in the 1855 Valuation Roll where he paid 150 pound a year rent"   His daughter Margaret was married at Meikle Cocklick I am presuming that it was at the farm I haven't been able to find a village by that name

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 06:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again, if you google Meikle Cocklick loads of information on what I take to be the farm name?

And same with Nethertown Kirkpatrick a mention in a book of a Mr McGuffog and a seed show?
Leave it to you to figure out?
Keyboard86

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
Well if he had 260 acres worth of Potatoes to pick, I would have thought he would have employed more than 5 Labourers, more than likely he was farming cattle/sheep/oats I would think?
Seasonal work such as potato picking would have been done by large gangs of Travellers or other itinerant workers.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again my apologies to tomba, although I still believe that hopefully someone can locate the full usage of the farms in 1841/51 but 260 acres of just potatoes takes some believing,  although he won 1st Prize for his potatoes and onions at the Castle Douglas Annual Seed Show in 1837, was Kirkcudbrightshire renowned for its vegetables rather than livestock farming?
Keyboard86