Author Topic: Captain Anderson Graham - Served on the "Duke of Wellington" during Crimean War  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone can help point me in the right direction..? I'd like to learn more about Captain Anderson Graham's Royal Navy service. He was born about 1837 in either Whitby (where his family comes from originally) or possibly Hull.

All I know about this aspect of his life is he "served in the Crimean War in the "Duke of Wellington".. and for services rendered under Sir Charles Napier.. he received a medal he always wore on public occasions.. He was in the navy for about 20 years.

I'd like to know where I can find out his service details and what the medal is, as well as anything else relevant!

Thanks for reading!

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Anderson Graham - Served on the "Duke of Wellington" during Crimean War
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
The only A graham in the Baltic medal roll (where Duke of Wellington was based) was a surgeon on Majestic. Anderson Graham is not listed on Duke of Wellington, which was Sir Charles Napier's flag ship.

Could he have been a Captain in the Royal Marines?

Ken

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Anderson Graham - Served on the "Duke of Wellington" during Crimean War
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 16:07 BST (UK) »
The papers for his Merchant Navy Master's ticket are with those of a William Graham born 1835 who served as an ordinary seaman on the Duke of Wellington from 21 May 1856 to 4 April 1857. Same address in the mid-1860's - is that his brother?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
William Graham's RN service record at TNA: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9523050

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your responses!

All I know is what I put above; also according to his obituary in 1911, in civilian life he was one of the best known mariners in Hull; sailed in the Baltic & Meditteranean trades for 25+ years.. member of Hull Trinity House Board, Chairman of British Shipbuilders Asociation..

I know the Hull Times did a full biography around 1896 in an "Old Hull Captains" series but haven't got access to that paper.

In the past, I have made a note of a William Graham b 1835 as a possible relative of Anderson Graham but have not made a link yet. William is one of the Grahams family popular names. It would also not be surprising if he had more siblings that I don't know about giving the spacing between the ones I do know of.

Shaun, how do you know that William Graham b 1835 was an ordinary seaman on the Duke of Wellington from 21 May 1856 to 4 April 1857? It seems quite likely that they knew each other and signed up or were press ganged (?) together. Probably press ganged as of all the Graham mariners this is the only one that seems to have ended up in the navy!

Any other ideas?

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 19:36 BST (UK) »
I have made some progress.. a new newspaper article that says he "served in the battles of the Baltic and in the Black Sea during the Crimean War".. this led me to a possible entry for him in TNA indexed under A Graham, for the Baltic Medal. He was on the ship "Majestic". His rating reads something like "Sing" ..? What might that mean?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 19:44 BST (UK) »
His rating reads something like "Sing" ..? What might that mean?

It says "Surg."   = Surgeon

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hm.. he would have been about 17 or 18 years old at this time so I guess this surgeon can not possibly be my "A Graham"..

Are there any other "likely" medals he may have been entitled to at this time or any other possible areas to explore or am I at a dead end?

Thanks for your help.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
I've just noticed that Anderson Graham's 1867 master's ticket has the same number (10600) as William Graham's issued in 1866. Could it be that he called himself William prior to 1867?

The address is also the same, as is the date of passing the examination.