Author Topic: John McKenzie - how far back?  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie - how far back?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 October 20 01:39 BST (UK) »
I, too, am trying to sort "Bewest the water" and "Over the water". I think it may be the west side of the Merkinch or Muirtown basin but I only came to that recently and of course I've lost the link to whatever made me think this :( (sad really as I've been looking for a couple of years at least).
My John Fraser was described as being of "Green of Muirton" in 1824. My issue is, is this "Green of Muirton" what is now Muirtown St off Telford St, or, is it the lands near Muirtown house and the Muirtown basin. If it's the basin, then I would need to pay more attention to those "Bewest", "Beyond" and "Over the water" records in my search.

How good is your eyesight?

Here's a transfer of the place known as;  "Green of Muirtown":-

https://www.ambaile.org.uk/search/?searchQuery=Green+of+Muirtown
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 October 20 04:39 BST (UK) »
Ooh! Thank you so very, very, much. My hunch appears to be correct. I'm sure it was a BMD record which led me to this and I went down the rabbit hole without saving the record. I've asked all over the place and no one knew what I was talking about.
I've also just realized that my John Fraser's father, William, may have still been alive in 1841.
That's my next few days sorted, then.

Offline Fraseroverthewater

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 October 22 18:00 BST (UK) »
Ooh! Thank you so very, very, much. My hunch appears to be correct. I'm sure it was a BMD record which led me to this and I went down the rabbit hole without saving the record. I've asked all over the place and no one knew what I was talking about.
I've also just realized that my John Fraser's father, William, may have still been alive in 1841.

Not sure I'm writing in the correct space (I haven't used this site before), but I ran into Madchia's quote while searching for Green of Muirton.  My great, great grandfather was a William Fraser.  His son John was my great grandfather.  I am currently searching for William's father John.  And I'm wondering whether we are referring to the same William Fraser.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what bewest the water means?

1) Does anyone know where Artnasair Par is?

Hi Keelan,

Not sure if this will help but......

"Does anyone know what bewest the water means?"

Simply means "to the west of"

"1) Does anyone know where Artnasair Par is?"

My take on this is that it could be Ardersier Parish?......nearest sounding name I can come up with?

Can you tell us who registered John's death in 1857 & who registered his wife's death in 1860?

The info. on death certs. are only as good as the knowledge of the informant.

Annie

I agree re Arderseir parish.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
And it might be useful to know that Fort George is in the parish of Ardersier.

Fort George and Fort Augustus (parish of Boleskine and Abertarff) owe their existence to the efforts to pacify the Highlands after the 1745 Jacobite Rising.

Fort William (parish of Kilmallie) dates from 1688, at the time of the abdication of King James VII.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 November 22 06:11 GMT (UK) »

Not sure I'm writing in the correct space (I haven't used this site before), but I ran into Madchia's quote while searching for Green of Muirton.  My great, great grandfather was a William Fraser.  His son John was my great grandfather.  I am currently searching for William's father John.  And I'm wondering whether we are referring to the same William Fraser.

Hi, my John Fraser, tailor, middle name of Simon according to the marriages of a couple of his children, was b abt 1796 Inverness per 1841 Liverpool census. First wife, m 1818 INV, was Janet Macintosh - 9 children. His 2nd wife was listed as a widow in 1851. The only John Fraser, tailor, who died bet 1841-1851 died in 1847 Liverpool and was supposedly born abt 1788. The informant was another John Fraser, not John's wife who was still alive (?).
At the time of John Fraser's second marriage, he lists his father as William, farmer.
John S Fraser tried 3-4 times to name a child after himself but they all died young.
I appear to have quite a few DNA matches which lead back to Kiltarlity, Caiplach and Abriachan.
John S Fraser and Janet McIntosh's first-born, William, b 1819 - nothing further known.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure it was a BMD record which led me to this and I went down the rabbit hole without saving the record.
If your records were found on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk they will still be there to view & save?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"