Author Topic: John McKenzie - how far back?  (Read 6486 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie - how far back?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

I haven't read your post but there's a good chance of the middle name of Cameron being either maternal mother or grandmother m/s........although not always?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 April 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

I haven't read your post but there's a good chance of the middle name of Cameron being either maternal mother or grandmother m/s........although not always?

Annie

Thanks Annie,
From a family grave headstone, I do know that the Allan Mckenzie on the 1841 census had a Janet Cameron as a maternal grandmother; she was married to a Donald Mckenzie, clerk of Clyde Ironworks - birthplaces of both grandparents unknown.  I have not yet found a suitable Janet born to an Allan Cameron, or an Alan M'K born to a Donald M'kenzie
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 April 16 16:44 BST (UK) »
I can't believe that after all the years this thread is still bouncing around the web.

For a few credits at Scot's People you could have found out amazing things and moved on.

Things like they had 7 children not 4; that in 1812 he was listed as private it says so as clear as day in his son's baptism.  Likely at the Garrison at Augustus.  And, that Donald b 1820 would make him the youngest and a whole lot more.

04/12/1812 MACKENZIE JOHN JOHN MACKENZIE/BETTY SUTHERLAND FR159 (FR159) M BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF OR FORT AUGUSTUS /INVERNESS 092/00 0010 0182

Don

Don - I did not say that they only had 4 children, I said that they had 4 children in Inverness-shire before moving onto Argyllshire where they had a further 5 children - Margaret, Elizabeth, Charlotte, John, Mary, Allan, Donald, Janet & Catherine, therefore Donald was not the youngest.

I have John Sr.'s military records so I know what his rank was transcribed as, and also what it was thought to be at the time of his death. I was merely looking to find if anyone knew if I could find out more about the said career, or possible going further back in the McKenzie line. Some people have been very helpful.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 October 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=820309.msg6826186#msg6826186

Have posted a new Query to the Military message board.

Just curious on your opinion here, why would John, Betsy, and their children travel from Inverness to the isle of Coll between 1813 - 1815? In 1841/51, John states that that is his birth place (Tyree) so would that be a reason possibly, even if i can't find a birth record there for him? Or perhaps John's military career came to an end and that was the reason for their move?

I have so many records, I am getting a little confused with all of the information.

Keelan

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 October 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
Just curious on your opinion here, why would John, Betsy, and their children travel from Inverness to the isle of Coll between 1813 - 1815? In 1841/51, John states that that is his birth place (Tyree) so would that be a reason possibly, even if i can't find a birth record there for him? Or perhaps John's military career came to an end and that was the reason for their move?

Keelan, I may have missed something, how do you know the family moved to Coll 1813 - 1815?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 October 19 21:10 BST (UK) »
Annie,

I know this because John & Betsy's 4th child John, was Baptised in Boleskine & Abertaff or Fort Augustus in 1812, and their next child Mary born in 1815 was baptised on the Isle of Coll, as were the 4 children after Mary. Coll is where John & Betsy remained until their deaths.

Keelan

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 October 19 21:42 BST (UK) »
I can think of a few reasons:-

*Living in crowded towns with an industrial water supply tended to be unhealthy.

*He inherited a family croft

*He had a chance of renting a vacant croft

* He was a pensioner and would have received an army pension, but I'm pretty sure in those days that the Parish were you were born was the place responsible for looking after you when you were feeble or came on hard times and needed extra support (poor relief).
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 October 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I just seem to be very confused at the moment with this. According to census returns, John was born between 1776 and 1781, in Tyree & Coll. According to his death record, he was born c.1766/67. According to military records of which there are two possiblities, he was either born in Moy, Inverness or Kilmuir, near Inverness.

I have found a possible birth match in 1765 in Inverness-shire, but can't find a John McKenzie born in Argyll to John & Margaret (Peggy) McKenzie in those dates.

So I don't know which info to trust basically.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 October 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
I, too, am trying to sort "Bewest the water" and "Over the water". I think it may be the west side of the Merkinch or Muirtown basin but I only came to that recently and of course I've lost the link to whatever made me think this :( (sad really as I've been looking for a couple of years at least).
My John Fraser was described as being of "Green of Muirton" in 1824. My issue is, is this "Green of Muirton" what is now Muirtown St off Telford St, or, is it the lands near Muirtown house and the Muirtown basin. If it's the basin, then I would need to pay more attention to those "Bewest", "Beyond" and "Over the water" records in my search.