Author Topic: Phoebe STEVENTON, born abt 1817, Oldbury, Worcestershire :- look-up request  (Read 584 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture:Great grandma Elsie & sister Evelyn
    • View Profile
My 3x great grandmother was called Phoebe Steventon, but I can't seem to find her family.

She was born circa 1817 (it's actually between 1815 and 1820 I believe, looking at the censuses), at Oldbury in Worcestershire/Staffordshire (it's now part of the West Midlands). She married William Walters in 1836 in Tipton in Staffordshire.
I can only find one baptism record - for a 'Pheobe' Steventon baptized at Oldbury on 11 Nov 1821, with parents called William and Sarah Steventon.

While researching her, even though it is quite an uncommon name, I've come across many Pheobe/Phoebe/Phebe Steventon's being married around the same time as my Phoebe was married  and in the same area, so I'm wondering if there are more baptism records for Phoebe/Pheobe/Phebe Steventon's that I haven't found yet.

Can anyone find any more baptisms/families for Phoebe Steventon that could possibly be the one I'm looking for? Based on the number of Phoebe Steventon's in the area, I'm guessing there must be more Steventon families (and consequently baptisms).
A student tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe STEVENTON, born abt 1817, Oldbury, Worcestershire :- look-up request
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for any of these other Phoebe's in the census records to see their birthplaces? Perhaps only yours was actually born in Oldbury.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Carrington, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Bentham, Holloway, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Yorks, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I haven't found any more Pheobe Steventon's but looking for siblings and other Steventon born in Oldbury there is this.

Benjamin Steventon 18.5.1817 Tipton St Martins s of William and Sarah boatman Workhouse Lane .On the censuses he says he was born Oldbury.Married Mary Mason 21.3.1841 Dudley St Thomas's

Pheobe may have wanted to look older in order to marry and living on a boat may have complicated things.

Ciderdrinker.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture:Great grandma Elsie & sister Evelyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 16 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
I haven't found any more Pheobe Steventon's but looking for siblings and other Steventon born in Oldbury there is this.

Benjamin Steventon 18.5.1817 Tipton St Martins s of William and Sarah boatman Workhouse Lane .On the censuses he says he was born Oldbury.Married Mary Mason 21.3.1841 Dudley St Thomas's

Pheobe may have wanted to look older in order to marry and living on a boat may have complicated things.

Ciderdrinker.

Hi Ciderdrinker, thanks for your help.
I think that the Benjamin Steventon that you'd mentioned above is the son of William Steventon (also know as Billy Sugar, who murdered a man and was hanged as a consequence) and Sarah Blackham. I've had a little look into this line, and it looks like William and Sarah had John (bap 22 Sep 1822 at Oldbury), William (bap 29 Jan 1819 at Oldbury), Phoebe (bap 11 Nov 1821 at Oldbury), Mary (bap 10 Aug 1828 at Tipton), Benjamin (bap 18 May 1817 at Tipton) and Hannah (bap 10 Aug 1828 at Tipton).

After William Steventon was hanged for murder, his wife Sarah married John Harvey. Sarah was living with husband John Harvey in 1871, with daughter Phoebe who had married a man by the name of Lowe; whereas my Phoebe Steventon married William Walters, and remained married to him until they both died in Yorkshire.
So I have no idea where my Phoebe Steventon could be!  ???

Holly
A student tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline LeeSteventon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen / Ciderdrinker,

Just wanted to pitch in here on the topic (a few years late, but hopefully still relevant info!):

The Benjamin Steventon that ciderdrinker mentions (who married Mary Mason) was my 3X G Grandfather.
Benjamin's parents were James Steventon (1792 - 1834) and Eleanor Green.
James' parents were Benjamin Steventon (1752 to 1824) and Phebe Chater (1751 - )
James' brother was William (Billy Sugar) Steventon (1796 - 1828). This is the one who was hanged for murder
William Steventon married Sarah Blackham (1794 - 1871)
William and Sarah had several children, one of whom was Phoebe Steventon (1821 - 1886)
Phoebe married William Walters (she was listed as "Phebe") and died in Barnsely, Yorkshire.

Make sense?

Regards, Lee