Author Topic: Dr. C. E. R. Gardiner, Medical Officer of Dungloe, 1901 - 1937.  (Read 3711 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. C. E. R. Gardiner, Medical Officer of Dungloe, 1901 - 1937.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 April 16 20:55 BST (UK) »
Reference to arrival of Dr. Gardiner and his care of his predecessor as doctor in the area - LINK
noting link to Gallagher family in area

also sent PM
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 April 16 21:30 BST (UK) »
There is a long disapproving article in the Kildare Observer about the government of the day and the working of various public services, Dr.Gardiner gets a mention as an example of how a red ticket was issues for him to visit a woman in order to approve that she get a place in the workhouse, she met him at the door of her house, the doctor issued a process for damages, the writer wholeheartedly approved.

You can search here http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home if you want to read it.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:59 BST (UK) »

Thanks very much, guys.  Sincerely appreciate the feedback.  Much appreciated.

Offline muirisor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hello, Shanachai,
I just stumbled on your postings relating to one of my great-grandfathers, CER Gardiner. Reading this scandal prompted me to join RootsChat.
Well done on gathering this material, much of which is new to me. I knew that he spent some time in the Congo and in Arklow (where my grandfather, Charles O'Connor Gardiner, was born) before moving to Donegal and eventually retiring to Kill Avenue (Dun Laoghaire).
I knew my grandfather (COC Gardiner), but not his father (CERG). Some of CERG's grandchildren are living (including my mother) and they knew their grandfather.
I look forward to hearing from you!
O'Reilly, Gardiner, Murrow, English; Woods, O'Connor, McNaghten, Lynn; McConville, Roche, Garvan, Moley; X, Y, Kinder, Gaughan

Offline muirisor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 03:00 BST (UK) »
I see there is a nice summary of the 1901 census entries for Dungloe Town (Templecrone), Co Donegal here: http://donegalgenealogy.com/1901dungloet.htm
O'Reilly, Gardiner, Murrow, English; Woods, O'Connor, McNaghten, Lynn; McConville, Roche, Garvan, Moley; X, Y, Kinder, Gaughan

Offline muirisor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 03:15 BST (UK) »
What about CERG's ancestors? Briefly, his father was a senior officer in the RIC who 'distinguished' himself in subduing a Fenian disturbance in the Potato Market in Drogheda (see https://archive.org/stream/in.ernet.dli.2015.91350/2015.91350.The-Mysteries-Of-Ireland_djvu.txt for a reference easily found on the web; I have a more readable and thorough reference, but not to hand).
The Roche's (on his mother's side) were of the family of bankers of Limerick & Cork, descendants also of the Wild Geese family of de Lacy and of O'Brien's of Aran ..