Author Topic: Hatfulls  (Read 3354 times)

Offline keni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hatfulls
« on: Saturday 23 April 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my family tree for years and have about 3000 direct relatives so far, I haven't included in the tree any children of a married female, only her husband, so only Hatfulls are listed + spouses and so far, all are related. I have recently found at least one family of Hatfulls who were born in Blackburn in Lancashire and want to trace them back to London which is where they stemmed from, as all Hatfulls came from around the Deptford area originally and going back to 1700. I did find three males, a father, his son and grandson, each born in Yorkshire in the late 1600's though. The book, "The Hatfulls of Deptford" has been very useful in my research and gave me a good head start, they were a well respected family in Deptford in the 18th century.
I found on "thegenealogist.co.uk" a family as follows: James Hatfull (Solicitor's Clerk) aged 47, born 1844 Blackburn - married to Elizabeth, children: Ann, born Blackburn 1891, James B R, born Blackburn 1887 and Herbert E, born Blackburn 1889. It is this discovery which has prompted me to search for this family's roots. I found an entry for James (the Solicitor's Clerk), at least I think it is him, in the 1871 census where he was a clogger in a household which had servants. It seems a strange career move so this may be incorrect but a James was listed in the 1871 census but not his family, his age was about right. I can find no entries in the 1851 or 1861 censuses for this family and suspect that the father of James snr. came from London.
Can anyone help tracing the Hatfulls from Lancashire back to London or, though unlikely, to Yorkshire? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Keni

Offline keni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hatfulls
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
There is another Hatfull I can't trace, John Hatfull who was on trial on 28th Feb., 1876 in Surrey. He was sent to prison for something but don't know what. Keni

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

The John Hatfull who was on trial in 1876 was committed to Jail for 7 years, for " robbery with violence, plus former conviction"

There may be a report in a local paper.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya Claire, thanks for that, I looked this up years ago and found a John H who was sent to Portland Prison for 7 years but he was convicted at the Old Bailey as I remember so when I saw "Surrey" it seemed to be a different John H but nonetheless, I'm trying to tie him into the tree. Keni

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 16 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've looked at the family in post 1 and the census's give surname as THRELFALL, the children were baptized as THRELFALL too.

The parents marriage is Threllfall / Richardson

16 Apr 1878 St Paul, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
James THRELFALL  - 34, Solicitor's Clerk, Bachelor, Sarah Ellen Street
Elizabeth RICHARDSON - 28, Spinster, Wellington Street
Groom's Father: James Threlfall, Boot Maker
Bride's Father: John Richardson, Joiner
Witnesses: John Charles Hodgson; Mary Jane Corbridge

claire

Offline keni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
Blimey Claire, you may have saved me months of digging! thegenealogist.co.uk clearly states Hatfull
and I've looked at the original hand written image.....it could be Threlfall, can you send me a link to what you found? Much appreciated, Keni

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 April 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course

www.lan-opc.org.uk

Childrens baptisms are there too, all THRELFALL. I've also looked at the actual marriage register on Anc*, definitely Threlfall and James signs the register as Threlfall.

Hope this helps

claire

Offline keni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 16 17:31 BST (UK) »
Brilliant Claire, I can't thank you enough. You know what it's like when you can't finalise something I'm sure and I'm the type to keep at it 'til it's done so you have saved me a load of time with your responses here, thanks so much, Keni.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 April 16 17:40 BST (UK) »

You're welcome  :)

Just checked newspapers, but no report on the Hatfull mentioned in post 2, although there is a report of a John Hatfull a steward onboard the Princess Alice, being a witness in regards to a collision the ship had in 1878.

claire