Author Topic: Swales Forest  (Read 8268 times)

Offline Anna Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Swales Forest
« on: Sunday 24 April 16 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to Roots Chat but an avid FH fan so hello!  My GGG Grandad Thomas Winter married an Alice Forest in 1860 in Barnard Castle/ Bishop Auckland.  I've found who I think was Alice listed as Annias Forest in 1851 in Thorngate Barnard Castle, her father matches the marriage certificate, listed as Forest Swales, a Potter by trade.  So far so good.

My problem is that I can't find any further record of Forest Swales.  I believe he married a lady called Jane (Swailes/ Cunningham or Wilson) and had 6 children then Jane died and he married Elizabeth Wilson and had several more children.  I wonder if anybody:

a) has any evidence of his first wife Jane's maiden name (Wilson? Cunningham? Swales?)
b) if anybody can shed any light on the provenance of Elizabeth Wilson.  I've found a marriage of Swales Forest and Elizabeth Wilson in Ripon in 1842 but her age doesn't match the 1851 census in Barnard Castle.  I've found an Elizabeth Wilson on the 1841 census who lives not far from Middleham in Yorkshire where the Elizabeth Forest listed on the 1851 census claims to be born.  Funnily enough, Swales Forest is listed as living with his son Frances living in a tent in Coverham, Yorkshire - just down the valley from Elizabeth Wilson in 1841 and her age matches the 1851 census.

I'm on Ancestry and have looked at other family trees but they are all different and don't refer to any original sources so I can't go with any of them!  Any suggestions gratefully considered.

Many thanks

Anna

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Swales Forest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 16 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could you clarify her fathers name please

listed as Forest Swales, a Potter by trade.
I can't find any further record of Forest Swales.
I've found a marriage of Swales Forest and Elizabeth Wilson in Ripon

He would be Swales Forest if Alice's surname was Forest (freebmd have it as Forrest)

There is an 1851 entry for a Swales Forest wife Jane who was a china and glass ?? - not very clear entry

Here's the 1851 entry reference    HO107 Piece 2309 Folio 558 Page 65 but it does not include a daughter Alice

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 16 01:14 BST (UK) »
If you do a parent search on Family Search there are several Forest baptisms to Swale/Swailes/Swales Forest and Jane
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to Roots Chat but an avid FH fan so hello!  My GGG Grandad Thomas Winter married an Alice Forest in 1860 in Barnard Castle/ Bishop Auckland.  I've found who I think was Alice listed as Annias Forest in 1851 in Thorngate Barnard Castle, her father matches the marriage certificate, listed as Forest Swales, a Potter by trade.  So far so good.

The 1851 is very confusing.  Swale Forest is listed as a Potter aged 48 and is wife is Elizabeth, 25.   His son is then recorded as Francis Deth (?) aged 25 & with wife Mary 19, and the children are then listed as children of Swale's son. ???

A Francis Forrest was baptised in Barnard Castle 1830 to Swale & Jane, they also had a son called Swales Forest baptised in 1827 (mother named as Jane Cunningham). 

Annias is said to have been born in Stockton, Durham around 1845, but if this is her then surely she would be too young to marry in 1860?  An Annas Forrest was baptised to Swale & Jane in 1831 - could this be her?  How old was Alice when she married Thomas Winter?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 April 16 03:19 BST (UK) »
And just to confuse things even more, a Swales Forrest married a Jane Cunningham in Bradford in 1847 - they were both 19  ???

Swales was an earthenware dealer, as was his father - Swales Forrest. Jane's father was James Cunningham, another earthenware dealer.

So we have
Swailes Forrest, a Grinder, marrying Jane Swailes in Bradford in 1825
Swailes Forrest (bachelor) marrying Jane Cunningham in Sedgefield, Durham in 1827
Swales Forrest marrying a Jane Cunningham in Bradford in 1847, aged 19

And then there's Alice....

Oh, and a Swales Forrest marrying an Elizabeth Wilson, Tabb or Johnson in Ripon in 1842
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 April 16 08:08 BST (UK) »
Have you got any birth or marriage certificates that may give some confirmation for ages and relationships and mother's maiden names?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 April 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
This is 1841 census for Swailes father and son and other family, for information, living Durham,no Alice
Swails Forrest   35  hawker  not local
Jane Forrest   30  not local
Swailes Forrest 13  (Added: the one who marries in Bradford age 19?)
Jacob Forrest   10
Henry Forrest   8
Thomas Forrest 7
Hammleton Forrest   5
Richard Forrest   2 not local
HO107   Piece 297  Book 17
Jarrow  Durham     Enumeration District 6     Folio 11    Page  16

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 April 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
Ham/me/ilton Forrest born about 1836 from that 1841 census, then dies age 20 in 1857 in Horton, Bradford, so unless there are 2 of them the family moves around.

I cannot work out what the West Yorkshire records state under remarks.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 April 16 08:54 BST (UK) »
If that 1841 census that I posted is the wrong one, and Annias is correct in 1851, have you got her birth references so you can apply for her birth certificate?

Have you any information on Francis Deth as it does not seem a very common surname?

Added:
Francis and Mary (previously Deth) appear to be under Forrest in 1881 - he is a scissor grinder from Barnard Castle, she is from Gateshead age only 46 now.

This is them in 1871
Francis Forrest     48   ....... scissor grinder
Mary Forrest   38
Annas Forrest    14
Swailes Forrest   12  hawker of tins
Epsworth Forrest   7
Mary J Forrest   5
Uravina  Forrest
brilliant names

and also under Forrest in 1861