Author Topic: Swales Forest  (Read 8291 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swales Forest
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks SallyYorks.  I'm on a couple of Romany sites and it would appear that Wilson, Cunningham, Forest, Pickering and Swales' faimilies all intermarried.  To make my life harder, one of my Winters married a Wilson whose Mum had remarried into the Swales family so I've got Wilson, Pickering, Swales and Winters all in the mix!  Very interesting to see where they travelled by tracking their children's places of birth and christenings though.. I'm going to do a timeline for Swales Forest - if only Google maps had an icon of a horse and cart as well as a car and train lol!

I would also consider the possibility of bigamous marriages.
Some of my rellies travelled around a lot (they ended up in Bradford) and one of them we think marries bigamously. Her first husband disappears from the records. At her second marriage, she then lies about her age, name and status ("spinster") and she also exaggerates about her  father's occupation. Calling him a "farmer". They were actually itinerant farm labourers/ ag labs. 

I use the walking icon on google maps, for connecting old address searches.
Good luck :)

Offline Anna Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, I suppose all that travelling would give them the opportunity to marry bigamously!  I'll bear that in mind.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:17 BST (UK) »
Yes and also a divorce was a very expensive and drawn out process. Very few people could afford one back then

Offline Anna Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, little has changed lol!

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 April 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
Haha. Yes  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 April 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
Right, I think I might have a plan thanks to all this discussion.  I'm going to send off for the marriage certificate of Swales Forest and Jane Cunningham in Sedgefield in 1827 and see if Swales' father is called Richard which is what his second marriage certificate to Elizabeth Wilson says.  If so, I think I can assume that they are the same person.

If it helps, the Swales Forest in Bradford was baptised 2 Jun 1804 at Ketton, Rutland, the son of Swales & Christian (Christiana?)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 April 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
If it helps more his father was Swales and his mother was Christiana Miller ,                   regards
Paton,Clark, Campbell,Mitchell,Anderson. Ayrshire.
Clark,McGowan,Ruddoch[Riddock]Ayrshire,Ireland
Croan Edinburgh
Swales,Robertson,Cunningham,Varey,Forrest,Knowles,Young,Gordon.
Travelers England and Scotland

Offline Anna Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, the marriage certificate in Ripon says Swales' father was called Richard.  You'd think there wouldn't be that many Swales Forests!!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:52 BST (UK) »
You'd think there wouldn't be that many Swales Forests!!

So I best not mention the Swailes Forrest that married in Stockton in 1864  ;D

This is the Bishops Transcript of Swales & Jane Cunningham's marriage in Sedgefield 1827:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01his/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.