Author Topic: Swales Forest  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Swales Forest
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 April 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Might stick my two bob's worth in. Seems there is a little confusion as to the NAME, FOREST or FORREST. Unfortunately there are Swales, Swailes, Swalie, and Swaley in BOTH Names all over the shop. ::)

But Potters, well they are a bit thinner on the ground. ;) 1851 census TEESDALE.
Swale FOREST born 1803 YORKSHIRE Head POTTER
Elizabeth FOREST Born 1826 Middleham YORKSHIRE WIFE
Swale DETH born 1849 Sunderland
Mary DETH born 1841 Northallerton
Mary DETH Born 1832 Gateshead POTTER
Lovinia DETH born 1847 Sunderland
Jane DETH born 1843 Northallerton
Francis DETH born 1826 Barnard Castle POTTER (SON)
and last but not least
Annias DETH born 1845 Sunderland

I don't think you can discount either FOREST or FORREST, depends who was writing it down and whether they asked the question. ::)

Alice I believe is the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth FORREST of YORK born 1846.

Neil

Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 April 16 09:27 BST (UK) »
My GGG Grandad Thomas Winter married an Alice Forest in 1860 in Barnard Castle/ Bishop Auckland.  I've found who I think was Alice listed as Annias Forest in 1851 in Thorngate Barnard Castle, her father matches the marriage certificate, listed as Forest Swales, a Potter by trade.  So far so good.

If the marriage certificate states her father as Forest Swales (or Swales Forest), potter, how can she be the daughter of Thomas? 

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 April 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
Alice Forrest, 1846, York appears to be still unmarried with parents Thomas and Elizabeth in 1861 - unless I have found the wrong one?

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 April 16 10:05 BST (UK) »
I think our OP needs to get back on and maybe answer a few questions?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 April 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Ham/me/ilton Forrest born about 1836 from that 1841 census, then dies age 20 in 1857 in Horton, Bradford, so unless there are 2 of them the family moves around.

I cannot work out what the West Yorkshire records state under remarks.

Yes , they did move around. They are Romany gypsies.

Re the Bradford WR,  Swales Forrest's, father and son
I have come across them before, years ago, but I cannot remember what for or why. Probably either when I helped with a friends tree (Varey family) or some connection with my family, (Ingleson's or Betts?) . I think they might also have lived on the same street as rellies in Bradford too.
Just going through some old notes now.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 April 16 11:35 BST (UK) »
sorry delete, double post

Offline Anna Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 April 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
Morning all!  I'm overwhelmed with the comments, thank you for putting your collective brains together on this one! I can't work out how to reply to each comment individually so will do my best to respond to all here.

1) To clarify, the man in question is indeed Swales Forrest/ Forest not Forest Swales.  My fault, too many glasses of red wine last night.

2) I've searched FamilySearch and Ancestry and found a lot of the baptisms some people reference as follows:
Swales Forest & Jane had: Richard, Swales, Francis, Hannah, Thomas & Mary
Swales Forest and Elizabeth Wilson had: Jane, Annias, Lavinia, John Swales & Richard

3) The 1851 census in Barnard Castle is very confusing as Jomot points out because it would appear that the children listed on it have the surname 'Deth'.  However, I've traced Francis and he regularly appears as Francis Forest in subsequent census' so I'm pretty confident the enumerator slipped up!(as chempat points out). 

4) There appears to be a whole other family of Swales Forest and Jane living in Horton near Bradford listed as hawkers/ earthenware dealers/ potters so I've assumed any marriages/ baptisms in or around Bradford belong to that family.

5)I'm inclined to think that my Swailes Forrest married Jane Cunningham in Sedgefield, Durham in 1827 because it's more local to his activities.

6) I sent away for the Ripon marriage certificate for Swales Forest and Elizabeth Wilson in 1842 but it shows her being aged 30, making her birth date 1812.  The date on the 1851 census for Elizabeth (Forest) is 1826.. a big difference but could it be that they lied because Swales was 40 and she was actually 16?!

7) I have a marriage certificate for Alice Forest marrying Thomas Winter in 1860 which appears to show her age as 15 - can this be correct?!  This would make the Annais Forest listed on the 1851 census a viable option! Was 15 a viable marriage age back in 1860?

I can't find any further evidence of either Swales Forest or Elizabeth Forest beyond 1851 census in Barnard Castle with all those children.  Francis was a good man and filled in all the census' but it would appear the others have all fallen off the radar - even Alice and Thomas Winter who had only been married one year in 1861 and I know they went on to have several children.  Perhaps it was the nature of hawkers to avoid enumerators ;-).  All your help is much appreciated, I'll consider anything thrown at me!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 April 16 11:57 BST (UK) »

and last but not least
Annias DETH born 1845 Sunderland

Annias is shown as born Stockton, not Sunderland
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Anna Harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 April 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, Annias is shown as being born Stockton, not Sunderland on the 1851 Barnard Castle census.  :)