Author Topic: Patrick Joseph HOWARD 1861-1920 Coonamble NSW  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph HOWARD 1861-1920 Coonamble NSW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 09:32 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness - the whole marriage certificate could be WRONG!

It took me a while to unscramble the parents of Blanch (and it was definitely Sophia and John, not William - who is John's older brother!), but if the parent information was not on the original, and has been added later, then both may be wrong. Ugh!

Thanks for all your help JM. It never would have occurred to me that some of the info was added later, so I could have been stuck researching the wrong people forever. And it looks like you found the copy of the wedding certificate I have been working from, so I don't have to try and figure out what the name of the second witness was (the other witness Ann EVANS was Blanch's younger sister). I am going to have to order a copy of that wedding certificate obviously.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Campbell Town, Tasmania is an option for Patrick's birth. One of the public tree's on Ancestory has Tasmania as Patrick's place of birth, though I have seen no evidence of it. Assuming the Campbell/Town is correct, I can search at each one for Patrick's birth.

Thanks for tracking down the electoral roll info. I will go through that again, and see if I can link any of those Howard's together.... it seems odd to me that they had 8 kids but none of them ended up staying in Coonamble or Quambone. That would suggest that whole family moved to Sydney when the kids were young maybe.

Yes! That is Blanch's funeral notice at trove. Though it looks like there is no picture of her grave uploaded to any of the cemetery indexes yet. I was hoping that Patrick would be buried with her, but nothing is ever easy.

Thank you Judith! Yep, that would be were they were living when Blanch was in the hospice then. I have never used the SANDS directory before, but it looks like I am about the learn! I might be able to track down the rest of the kids and figure out when they moved to Sydney.

Also thanks Neil! I will have a look at the St George Patrick Howard. One of the public trees on ancestry puts Patrick's death as being in 1920, the same year as Blanch, but I have found no evidence of it. Modified to add: this is a really good catch Neil. Patrick's oldest son Michael apparently died at St George, Qld in 1967

More work to do :)
Thank you!
Tracey
HOWARD, LE JUGE, SCHROEDER all Australian

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
It also looks like I will contacting the Coonamble Family History group soon! Thanks again JM.

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Observation: How odd is it that Blanch and Patrick were married by a Church of England minister, but then Blanch was buried in the Catholic section of Rookwood cemetery, and their eldest son listed RC as his religion on his enlistment paper in 1916?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
I think you may find that some of them stayed in / returned to Coonamble.

NSW Deposition Register is indexed at NSW State Records online  :)
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/court-records/index-to-criminal-depositions-received-1849-1921

I think Michael Henry and John are listed

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:30 BST (UK) »
Observation: How odd is it that Blanch and Patrick were married by a Church of England minister, but then Blanch was buried in the Catholic section of Rookwood cemetery, and their eldest son listed RC as his religion on his enlistment paper in 1916?

I think one of those submitted trees has uploaded a document noting a "Conditional Baptism" for Blanch in 1916 and I think it is a Roman Catholic priest who performed the ceremony.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
Ahhh, thanks JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 April 16 13:11 BST (UK) »

Do you have a birth certificate for a child born to Patrick and Blanch...to see birthplace of parents?

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 April 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
No birth certificates for the kids, just what is in the online indexes. Might have to order one, but I'll wait and see what the original wedding certificate says first.
thanks!

Offline Tracey Asteroid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 01:20 BST (UK) »
So I got a copy of the original wedding certificate. No ages, place of birth or parents listed at all.

Coonamble does have a family history group, but I have started by asking at the Coonamble history museum (maybe a picture of the family will show up!). Then I will contact both the Anglican and Catholic churches to see if either has anymore information.

I have found tracking down what happened to Patrick and Blanche's kids a headache as well. I am still working on it, but the whole family has this 'under the radar' thing going on. I will keep chipping away at it.

In the meantime, I have been trying to work from the other direction, and have tracked down two Patrick HOWARDs in Tasmania in the 1800's. I have managed to confirm that neither is my guy. I have already eliminated Campbell Town in South Australia (no HOWARDs there), so now I have decide if I want to tackle NSW or Vic next. Neither is a very attractive option!

I will keep updating as I discover more information. Maybe one day someone will come across this thread and find the answers they need :)