Author Topic: Thomas Cowlishaw Adams 1884 Derby-1918 Aden  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Cowlishaw Adams 1884 Derby-1918 Aden
« on: Tuesday 26 April 16 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi everybody..on behalf of one of my contacts I am asking for help .....
I have everything there is to know about the above named WWI casualty........except why his was called Thomas COWLISHAW Adams............according to his Birth Certificate he was the son of Henry and Sarah Adams.........great!
Trouble is he appears on the 1881 Thomas Adams and on the 1891 as Thomas Cowlishaw Adams..along with a sister Ann Cowlishaw Adams.
Ok you say..after the death of Henry Adams Sarah married Thomas Cowlishaw..she is shown as a widow in 1891................But Thomas Cowlishaw married Sarah Adams in 1873..and she was unmarried.....
Sarah Adams the widow of Henry..and Sarah Adams spinster were both born about 1844/5
Sarah Adams mother of Thomas Cowlishaw was born 20 years later.
Can anybody explain the COWLISHAW intrusion in the cases of Thomas and Ann?

children of Henry and Sarah  Adams..allegedly..Stenson/Twyford Derby.or Swarkestone !!!!!!
Henry 25.10.1874
Jane 10.06.1877
Ann COWLISHAW Adams 16.03.1879
John 10.07.1881
Thomas COWLISHAW Adams 10.08.1884

There is mention of Thomas being a nephew..whose???...or was Sarah a very naughty girl indeed??

Thanks in anticipation

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cowlishaw Adams 1884 Derby-1918 Aden
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 21:49 BST (UK) »
he was the son of Henry and Sarah Adams.

When did they marry?

But Thomas Cowlishaw married Sarah Adams in 1873.

No he didn't - see FS - the marriage was 1871

Trouble is he appears on the 1881 Thomas Adams and on the 1891 as Thomas Cowlishaw Adams..along with a sister Ann Cowlishaw Adams

How can he appear on the 1881 if he was only born in 1884?

after the death of Henry Adams

No date given - it was June qtr 1884
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:17 BST (UK) »
What was Sarah's maiden name on Thomas's birth cert?

freebmd has an 1869 marriage of Henry Adams to Sarah Dyche but that Sarah was born 1850

Have you considered that Henry may have been illegitimately born as Cowlishaw and his mother married an Adams 

Have you tracked him back via the 1871/61/51 censuses?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:26 BST (UK) »
You've spotted at least part of the problem..there are too many Henry's and Sarah's...........Henry Adams married Sarah Haynes 04.11.1873.............as I said!........
Yes i have seen a myriad of possibilities..none of which explain the marriage of Sarah Adams..which Sarah Adams..to Thomas Cowlishaw............
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:29 BST (UK) »
Henry Adams married Sarah Haynes 04.11.1873.............as I said!.

No you didn't - you said Thomas Cowlishaw married Sarah Adams in 1873 - no mention of Sarah Haynes

As you have Thomas's birth cert - what was Sarah's maiden name?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:37 BST (UK) »
It was not uncommon to give a child the surname of a friend/relative as a middle name.

In my own FH - my grandfather had the middle name Gilchrist as does my brother and I know where it came from.  However, one of my great grandfathers daughters was given the middle name of Bullock (poor girl) and the other McCormick.  Neither surname has any connection whatsoever to the family and was presumably the surname of a particular friend/neighbour.

Given that Henry was Adams and a Sarah Adams married a Cowlishaw - perhaps you need to explore whether Sarah & Henry were siblings

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:39 BST (UK) »
Ooops...Carole! sorreeeeeeeeeee..I am asking for help becasue i am flummoxed..and not looking to be attacked aggressively because i cocked Up!

1871..Henry Adams  Widower..son of John and Ann... two children aged 6 one of them at least born in Yorkshire..has a sister SARAH ADAMS born c1849 as his Housekeeper...........
The main problem i have is that Henry Adams..and his wife Sarah whichever bloody Sarah... had five children between 1874 and 1884......two of them..not the last two..or the first two...include Cowlishaw in there names...all i'm asking is WHY?????
Pretty please///..by the way..my name is Gilchrist...!

1891.Has THomas Cowlishaw and Sarah somebody or other...with several children including Thomas Cowlishaw..1901 has the same family..with several matching children but Thomas Cowlishaw has become Thomas Adams..the self same man who gave his life in Aden fighting the Turks in 1918 as THOMAS COWLISHAW ADAMS............

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
    Going by the title of this discussion, Derek, I take it that Thomas died in Aden while serving in Aden.   Can you tell me more about this and what happened?    I served with the RAF in Aden from March 1952 to March 1954 and was in the RAF Hospital Orderly Room.   Our Billet was nearby and extremely old, thought to have been built by the Turks during their occupation of that part of Arabia.    I can remember looking closely at an inscription carved into the wooden top of the balcony railing and it had something like 'Queens Own    ....(Rifles?- have forgotten)' and I think the year was 1869 or 1890 something.    So chances are that Thomas was in the same billet.  I'm attaching a photo looking down at the billet which is on the bottom left of the photo and another of myself fooling about when the new Uniform Caps arrived.   In this photo you can see the wooden balcony on the left.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 22:52 BST (UK) »
..and not looking to be attacked aggressively

Your reply - 
as I said!.
so just pointing out your error

whichever bloody Sarah

You still haven't said what Sarah's maiden name was on Thomas's birth cert so we know exactly which Sarah Henry married.

If Henry was a widower in 1871 then any re- marriage was between 1871-1881 and any children born after 1871 were to the second marriage.

Who was his first wife?  Was she a Cowlishaw?  If not then I think you need to confirm that the Sarah Adams housekeeper in 1871 is the same one who married Thomas Cowlishaw in 1871 after the census.

I would then suggest that's where the middle name comes from