Author Topic: Eglingham Parish Baptism 1891 - Woodhorn lookup please  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eglingham Parish Baptism 1891 - Woodhorn lookup please
« on: Friday 29 April 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have a highly possible record from Family Search for
Thomas MATHER
baptised 22nd March 1891, Eglingham Parish
Parents: George MATHER and his wife Margaret

Its close but no mention of the middle name he was registered with (Nesbit).

If anyone is visiting Woodhorn and has time to check the register, I'd appreciate knowing if there are any details not transcribed by Family Search, plus confirmation of the date, page and entry number if possible so that if its the right record I can add it to my next order from Woodhorn.

Thanks

Boo

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Eglingham Parish Baptism 1891 - Woodhorn lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
I'll be there as usual on Wednesday   :D

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 16 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine, if you have time I would appreciate it.

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

The standard entries on the baptism record are abode ‘Lilburn’ and occupation ‘Groom’ but in the margin it says ‘at Lilburn school’.  Others say ‘at Bewick chapel’ so I’m assuming that they are talking about where the baptism took place.

For you to order a copy – microfilm M572, Eglingham baptisms 1813 – 1913, second register (1859 – 1913) page 65.

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine
Your help, as always, is much appreciated.

I do think that its the record I am looking for. The 1891 census has this family at West Lilburn and Thomas was 2 months old. His Dad was recorded as a farm labourer but horses figured large in farms way back then and Thomas worked with horses on farms when he grew up (per 1911 census) so its highly likely that his Dad did.

I'll add the record to my next application to Woodhorn.

Thanks again

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 16 23:28 BST (UK) »
I've just been thinking (always a dodgy activity  ;D ) but I don't recall looking for Thomas' middle name - I can 'see' all the items in the record except the child's name, so did I forget?  :-[

I will double check next week!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 May 16 08:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine, though only if you have time.

It does bother me slightly that this is the only baptism I can find on Family Search as 'possible' out of the 5 children of this marriage I know of. Though they moved around a LOT and Thomas was the only one which census returns have as being born whilst they were in Lilburn.

I suppose there is always a possibility that this is not for 'my' Thomas, but the whole family may have been baptised in non conformist (of whichever flavour) churches dotted around the county and for this period they are not in the Family Search database, or may even not have been baptised at all - everything is possible in this game!

Unless his middle name did appear on the record I think I am going to leave this in the 'possible, but not definite' box.

Boo

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 May 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
Who were the other four and where were they born?

Christine

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 May 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Who were the other four and where were they born?

Christine

Apologies, I haven't been able to reply to this until now, Christine. Been an extremely busy weekend whilst we gained a new son in law :-)

More apologies as I also seem to be unable to count. As well as Thomas Nesbitt Mather there were 5 other children I can identify from census returns 1881-1901.

Plus from the 1911 census I know there was one child who was born and died too soon but that must have been in between census years so I am not certain of the name. There is a Jane Nesbitt Mather born and died in Q3 1886, Glendale District who is a major contender.

I have the family on the 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 census returns.

It appears that the parents, George Mather and Margaret Ann Nesbitt married in Q1 1877, Glendale district.

On the census returns I can see the following children:

Ellen B (Baptist according to the GRO index) born 1878, birthplace given as Chillingham on census, registration district was Glendale so is a match for that

Robert J (John according to the GRO index) born 1879, birthplace  given as Duddo, registration district was Berwick is a match for that

Mary, born 1881, birthplace given as Duddo, registration district was Berwick is a match for that

Sarah, born 1885, birthplace given 1891 as Carham, 1901 as Moneylaws, Branston , registration district was Glendale so is a match for Carham anyway, not looked for Moneylaws, Branston

Thomas Nesbitt Mather, born 1891, birthplace given as 1891, Eglingham, 1901& 1911 Lilburn Grange, Eglingham, registered in Glendale District so is a match for the birthplace

George W (William per the GRO index) born 1896, birthplace given as Chillingham Newtown, registration district was Glendale so is a match for that

But please don't go spending lots of time looking for them Christine. The baptism for Thomas [Nesbitt] Mather that I originally asked to be checked is really the only one that is directly linked to my tree, if you have time to check if there 'was' a middle name in the register that would be lovely, but the others are kind of incidental and I really don't want to impose on you any further than I already have.

Boo