Author Topic: Thomas Wilson 1873 Newcastle  (Read 999 times)

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Wilson 1873 Newcastle
« on: Saturday 30 April 16 07:50 BST (UK) »
Right having recently just started doing my family tree, I'm really struggling with Thomas Wilson. Wether I'm looking wrong or what I don't know. I believe he was born in 1873, I have seen him on the 1911 census living with his wife Mary and their kids he's not with them on the 1901 census and I'm struggling to pick him up on any other ones. Any suggestions? Also Mary and Thomas had a daughter in 1899 who was on the 1901 census but isn't with them on the 1911 but is still registered as living on that. I believe I've found her on the 1911 in a house in Bellingham and listed as boarding but don't understand why she'd be there? Anyone know why this could be?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wilson 1873 Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 April 16 08:14 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for military records? 1901 was the time of the Boer War.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 16 08:21 BST (UK) »
Right having recently just started doing my family tree, I'm really struggling with Thomas Wilson. Wether I'm looking wrong or what I don't know. I believe he was born in 1873, I have seen him on the 1911 census living with his wife Mary and their kids he's not with them on the 1901 census and I'm struggling to pick him up on any other ones. Any suggestions? Also Mary and Thomas had a daughter in 1899 who was on the 1901 census but isn't with them on the 1911 but is still registered as living on that. I believe I've found her on the 1911 in a house in Bellingham and listed as boarding but don't understand why she'd be there? Anyone know why this could be?

She could be staying with relations, sometimes they say boarder when they are a niece of nephew or whatever.
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 16 08:25 BST (UK) »
There no relation and there's a few other kids there too. Could it possibly of been a boarding house? Though I'm not quite sure why she'd of been there. Really struggling with this side of the tree, total fail. And I was told regarding Thomas that he may of been in prison(earlier post) is there anywhere specific to look for prison records?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 16 08:31 BST (UK) »
There's a National School record for Georgina Wilson born 11 March 1899, father Thomas, 11 Duke Street. Left in October 1910 because of illness.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 April 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
Where did you see this? I must be blind or just looking in the wrong places? I've been trying to figure out what happened to her for ages! And wether she married or anything. I have just recently received my great grandmothers wedding certificate, and Georgina was a witness so I know she must of remained close with her sister.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 April 16 08:41 BST (UK) »
There's a death for Georgina Wilson aged 20 in q/e Dec 1919 in Newcastle on Tyne. 10b 202

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 April 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
Could it possibly of been a boarding house?

It definitely was a boarding house, run by the Misses Forster. There were a lot of boarding houses in Bellingham at that time - about a dozen, on a quick count.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 April 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
Makes sense although I still don't get how I haven't come across these things. I wonder what was wrong with her.