Author Topic: Ellen Walker buried Alverthorpe, York 1885  (Read 692 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen Walker buried Alverthorpe, York 1885
« on: Sunday 01 May 16 05:33 BST (UK) »
Ellen Walker was buried on 21 November 1885 at Alverthorpe, York, England.
Can anybody help with details from her headstone; ie date of death and reference to any other family members. Or index details to obtain death certificate.
Not sure whether the Free UK BMD index entry for Dec quarter 1885 is the correct one based on registration district.
Thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Walker buried Alverthorpe, York 1885
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 16 05:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Wendy.

The 1881 census is free to search. Have you tried looking for Ellen on the 1881?

Freecen is also worth checking for other censuses, though not complete, you might be lucky.

If you know the name of Ellen's parents, you can specify that you only want the 1885 birth certificate issued if the father or mother matches.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 16 05:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie.  It is a death certificate that I am after.
I will try the Freecen but there are so many Ellen Walker's and I am not sure where she might have been living around 1881.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 16 06:18 BST (UK) »
What about going down the Findagrave path?

Can you be more specific about where she was buired?

Was it at St Paul Churchyard,Alverthorpe, Metropolitan Borough of Wakefield
West Yorkshire,England.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GScid=2409000&CRid=2409000&pt=St%20Paul%20Churchyard&

Could you request a lookup to see if she was buried there?

The only Ellen Walker who died in 1885 in York I can find was aged 0.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 May 16 06:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks whiteout7.
The death information came from a public family tree on Ancestry.  I contacted the person who posted the info who advised that they had been given the info and were not actively researching the family.
I have been following up some tenuous leads as I have drawn so many blanks.  The following is what I know about Ellen Walker:

Ellen (Helen) Spencely dau of William Spencely (Sawyer) and Ellen Kendrick born  1823 Grimsby, Lincolnshire.  Ellen married William Walker on 24 July, 1842 at Hull.

I have earlier census info, however the 1871 census records William Walker, Saw Sharpner, Ellen, Dressmaker and their two youngest children Samuel born 1860, Bradford and Henry born 1862 in Bradford.  The family was living in Biligrave street, St Mary Bishophill Junior, Yorkshire.

William, Ellen, Samuel and Henry Walker migrated to New Zealand c 1878.  Their eldest son John Atkinson Walker, his wife and child migrated to NZ arriving in August 1870.  JA Walker was sent out to NZ as Manager of the Te Kopuru sawmill in the Kaipara.

William Walker died in Devonport, Auckland, New Zealand on 29 July 1894.  His death cert has no info about a wife and children.  I have not been able to find any further info on Ellen, Samuel or Henry (mainly because these names are so common) except for a marriage for Henry in Auckland, NZ in 1887.  Henry's wife died a few months later in 1888.

I have checked the 1881 census again and found a Bertha Walker, Dressmaker in Alverthorpe.  I will check this info again and see if she appears in the 1891 census.

William's father was Samuel Walker, Mariner who died before 1842.  I have found nothing further on him either.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 16 07:14 BST (UK) »
I would say your Ellen Walker died in New Zealand and I would ask on the New Zealand board because her details might appear on a New Zealand burial CD

Wonder if she died before her husband and not in Devonport?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)