Author Topic: Unknown lady  (Read 1704 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown lady
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 May 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
not having much success rescanning the photo, just got a new printer/scanner not having much success with it

It's a shame you're not having much luck.  It would be great to get a good scan if you can manage it as it's a lovely photo and would come up a treat.  I can enlarge it, but the quality will not be there.

Caz

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 May 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
Still trying Cazza59 any chance you could date this photo?
Sheila
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 May 16 12:27 BST (UK) »
Is there anything on the back at all Sheila?  If so, can you (I know it's painful) scan the back and post it.  The best clues for dating are in the card stock the photo is mounted on and of course, the clothing.  If you can't scan the back, can you describe it?

The hat size and style, and the blouse design e.g. collars and sleeves, are big dating clues as well, which when put together with the type of card the photo is on, can give you a pretty accurate date. Hence a good scan is important to see these details clearly  (plus you may want to print it).

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 May 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
PS I'll stick my neck out and say early 1900s but would prefer more detail.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 May 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
This photo has the potential to produce a good reproduction if...like Caz has stated, a better scan can be provided.

A lot of fine detail has been lost as the whole of the scanner lid has been scanned rather than just the image and this has greatly reduced the pixel content thereby losing definition...Enlarging it will only reduce the clarity and it won't produce a good print. The extra effort would be well worth it.

Posting the back will also help with dating but I would agree with Caz and say it's Edwardian. Here are some guidelines to help you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,372537.0.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 May 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Still having problems withe new printer/scanner so have put it back in box and am taking it back, will get another one I can use.
Thank you all for your help will get back to you.
Sheila
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 May 16 15:15 BST (UK) »
This snip taken from a word document I did may help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 May 16 20:28 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention the photo is stuck to brown card which has a double thickness also nothing on the back of it.
Sheila
Duffey Staffordshire

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
Another try for the unknown lady also can anyone give an age for her