Author Topic: British Home Children - Middlemore Children  (Read 1090 times)

Offline theotherwallace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Home Children - Middlemore Children
« on: Sunday 01 May 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone has a good story of Middlemore Children being sent to home.  My great great grandfather told my dad his family was great however he also had some horror stories of other boys that werent so lucky
My fathers family started as William Wallis in Chesthunt Hertsfordshire UK became Wallace in Canada.   Beech - Birmingham - Middlemore children (James and Joesph) arrived in Canada in 1880. 
Mothers side William Strang - East Kilbride Scotland  O'Neil - Dingle Eire

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: British Home Children - Middlemore Children
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 19 19:55 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how it came about for children to become Middlemore Home children?  Were struggling families approached by the homes offering to take children in or did parents/guardians apply to the homes so that they could have their children taken in believing that they were giving their children the chance of a better life?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
Treefan.....

This link has some general info about how children came into "care" and eventually emigrated as Home Children. Near the end is a section about Middlemore children.

https://bifhsgo.ca/cpage.php?pt=4

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 19:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks polar bear ~ fascinating read.

Offline hadenmaiden

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 20 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Two of my great uncles were emigrated to Canada via Middlemore in 1909 along with 127 other children. Sadly, not very happy stories to report from them. I'm currently researching the lives of all of them. Have been fortunate to make contact with several direct descendants, and have found several happier stories amongst the bad experiences.
Still looking for anyone with a family link to any of the children who sailed on Carthaginian in 1909.
Haden, Edwards, Bradley, Lamb, Cooper, Pool, Hepton, Ellam, Wilbe, Taylor