Author Topic: Parish of Castleton  (Read 24566 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of Castleton
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 September 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across the surname Welsh while fossicking through the Castleton records? A Thomas Welsh and Isoble Grieve had a son called John in Castleton in 1759. I think this is the same Thomas Welsh who later married Agnes Hall, who bore him Agnes(1764), Gilbert(1765), Beatrix(1768) and Thomas(1775), in the same parish. Needless to say, there is no record of either of Thomas Welsh's marriages.

The children of Thomas Welsh and Agnes Hall were all born at Bilhopefoot, which is in a remote part of Castleton parish near Hermitage Castle. I believe that the above Thomas Welsh born in 1775 is my notorious 4 x great-grandfather of that name who served in the Hopetoun Fencibles then became a coachman in Wilton, Hawick. I know he was about 34 in July 1808 when Wanted notices about him were published in the Kelso Mail and Edinburgh Evening Courant, and from the same notices I know that he was "stout-built" and had "reddish-brown" hair, so that accounts for two features of my appearance. However, I haven't yet had the procurator-fiscal's office in Hawick taking an interest in my whereabouts!

Harry

Offline kelw45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parish of Castleton - Andison, Graham, Nicol, Scott
« Reply #19 on: Monday 27 February 12 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for extensions of and any information available on the following families in Castleton:
William Andison of Castleton who married (Jean) Janet Graham of Graitney(Greatney) Dumfries 1753;
William's Son Henry Andison (b. 1762) Castleton who married Mary Nicol of Castleton circa 1787;
Henry's son, Robert Andison (b. 1793)Castleton married Margaret Scott of Roberton m. 1826

Robert and MargaretAndison  left Scotland circa 1840 with their children: Jane, Margaret, Mary, William and Henry and settled in Plumbland, Cumbria, England.

I am seeking information relating to ancestors and descendants of the above.

Here are the children of the above:

William Andison and Janet (Jean) Graham (William's name is spelled "Anderson" in the original record - this change of spelling through the decades depended upon the clerk writing the information and his knowledge of Surname spellings as most of the farmer- parishioners may not have been able to read or write).
1.  Robert b. 1759
2.  Henry b. 1762
3.  John b. 1766
4.  Margaret b. 1770

2.  Henry Andison and Mary Nicol
1.  William 1788
2. Robert 1793
3.  Elspeth 1796
4.  Henry 1800
5.  Nicol 1803
6.  Jean(Janet) 1805
7.  David 1807
8.  Thomas 1849

3.  Henry Andison and Margaret Scott

1.  Jane 1826
2.  Margaret 1828 (documentation yet to be found)
3.  Mary 1831
4.  William 1834
5.  Henry 1835

~Pat

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
just adding a placeholder as I don't have details to hand to cross reference for elliots/croziers (or anyone else) in Castleton

S_L

Offline M Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 March 12 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Pat,
       Gravestone Ettleton Cemetery.   Here lyes the Body of William Anderson who died at Redmoss Feb. 16th 1781 aged 59 years also Jane Graham his spouse who died at Castleton Sep. 19th 1814 aged 83 years also two of his daughters Peggy and Jean who died in infancy.
Reverse.   Here lies the body of Grizzal Graham who died at Millsteads April 10th 1779 aged 39 years.

There was no rigid prescribed spelling in the 1700s.  In my family the name was always Andison.  Their son Henry Andison born 1762 is my 3 x gt. grandfather his daughter Jean/Jane born 1805 married Gilbert Telfer.

I have her brother Robert Andison born 1793 in 1861 census as a widower aged 68 living in Newcastleton but knew nothing else about him.

I have other information about the Andison/Anderson Castleton families and would be delighted to  correspond with you.

Regards,    Morag Carter

Telfer, Mair, Andison, Elliot, Murray, Turnbull Castleton.  Riddell, Hawick.
Bell, Ewes, Langholm area.
Martin, Wilson, Elliot. Teviothead.

Offline kelw45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 March 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Morag,

Thanks so much for your information on the Andison's.  William and Jane Andison are my 4x great grandparents. Your ancestor, Henry is the brother to my ancestor Robert, both sons of William and Jane.  I was thrilled to receive the Gravestone inscription.  Do you know if there is a picture of their tombstone anywhere?  I found a picture of the graveyard on 'google images'.

Andison has always been the surname in our family too.  I have researched the origin of the name and they state it is a derivative of 'Anderson', however, my Andison aunt seemed to think it was of Danish origin.  Do you know anything about the origins of the surname?

I also found your last name interesting as "Carter" is also in our famly through Henry Andison's  (b. 1878) wife's family.  However, this name comes from Suffolk and I imagine there were alot of Carter's in the UK :)

My email address is *  I would love to correspond too Morag.  Interestingly, you have Robert Andison in your 1861 census, as his wife died in Cumberland in 1855 and I could not find him in the Census of England for this year.  He did go back to Cumberland and life with his daughter Mary and husband John Young who was a farmer.

Will chat more by email.

Warmest Regards, Pat
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 March 12 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I think my only crozier-elliot connection is Christian Scott Crozier who married John Elliot, a ploughman from Castleton, on 27th March 1846 at Ettrick.

Don't have too much information on John's parents though as my connection is on the Crozier side.

S_L

Offline Cousin Cath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Helen Elliot and John Turnbull in Parish of Castleton
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 July 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the parents of John Turnbull who married Margaret Murray on 13 Apr 1806 in Hawick. The naming of their children- John  (b 1 Apr 1807),; Jane (b. 1807) and Helen would indicate that John's parents may well be John Turnbull and Helen Elliot. An entry in family search tree gives John Turnbull a birth circa 1749 in Piper Burn, Castleton. Does anyone have information on this John Turnbull or the Turnbulls of Piper Burn?

I found  a record of a Helen Elliot bapt. 20 Apr 1755 to Robert Elliot and Margaret Turnbull who seemed to have married 22 Jun 1739 in Ancrum. Does anyone have more info on these Elliots?

Thank you.

Offline M Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 July 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Cath,     
Gravestone at Castleton.   In memory of John Turnbull who died at Piperburn aprile 13 1799 aged 57 years. Also Helen Elliot his spouse who died at Bellshiels Oct 20th 1829 aged 86 years. Also Isabel Turnbull who died at New Castleton Dec. 31st 1841 aged 73 years.  Thomas his son aged 11 years.  Also a child in infancy also Isabel Armstrong who died at Bellshiels March 1822 aged 17 also Helen Turnbull who died at Newcastleton the 24th of June 1841 aged 68 years.
M. Carter
Telfer, Mair, Andison, Elliot, Murray, Turnbull Castleton.  Riddell, Hawick.
Bell, Ewes, Langholm area.
Martin, Wilson, Elliot. Teviothead.

Offline GRAZZER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 August 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
Clare
I am researching my Elliot family, and just found this really old message.
Are you still searching as I think I am connected to the tree you were researching ?
Graham