Author Topic: Chetton Parish Records  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chetton Parish Records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 May 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/Burford.html        4 with Colebatch surname

1751  Apr. 29. Timothy, s. John & Mary Colebatch ... bap.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 May 16 10:36 BST (UK) »
George Colebatch
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening:   28 September 1670   CHETTON, SHROPSHIRE, ENGLAND   
father:   John Colebatch
mother:   Jane

John Colbatch
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening:   17 December 1629   LUDLOW, SHROPSHIRE, ENGLAND   
father:   Thomas Colbatch
mother:   Mary

https://familysearch.org     

Sorry, no marriage or burials.   

Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Tim Colebatch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 June 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Gosh, you know an amazing amount about our family. Are you one of us?
This is my speculation about who is who in the Colebatch family in the Ludlow parish records:

I think the Cobage family in the Ludlow records is the missing link that explains where Edward, William etc came from - and possibly even our John.

It doesn't look like our name, but say it, and it sounds similar. The priest, James Crowther (rector, 1604-25) would have written down what he took the name to be. The Cobage family occurs in the parish records only in his term, between 1609 and 1625. When the Rev. Thomas arrived, the spelling changed to Colbatch. William and Joan's first child Alice, baptised in June 1625, was spelt Cobage by Crowther, but their three later ones (after Rev. Tom arrived) were spelt Colbatch.

If I am right, that greatly expands the number of Edward's children.
My conclusion is that Edward was probably the first Colbatch to settle in Ludlow, at least in the time of the parish records, probably in 1596/97. If Thomas had been born in 1596, then he might have been the eldest child, and baptised before the family migrated to Ludlow.
Those baptised in Ludlow were

1598 Edward Colbach
(possibly the Edward, son of Edward Cowlach who was buried on August 21, 1599, since no other Cowlach appears in these records. Or it may be the Edward Colbatch who sired children with Elinor and Anne in succession in the 1630s).
(nb date of christening is Mar 5, 1598, not 1597 - the parish records seemed to update the year not on Jan 1, but only when they started a new page).

1600 William Colbach
(quite likely the William who married Joan, and later Katherine, and later served as church warden and possibly as Alderman Will).

a gap of years follows - maybe his first wife died, somewhere out of Ludlow, since there is no record of her burial, and he later remarried.

1609 Margaret Cobage (d. 1611)

1611 Richard Cobage
(quite likely the Richard Colbatch who married Joan and had all those children from 1640 to 1653 - how is it that they had the only child to appear in Ludlow records of christenings from 1646 to 1661?)

1613 Alice Cobage (d. 1619)

1614 John Cobage

AHA!!! Could this be our ancestor John Colebatch, who married Elizabeth, sired children at Chetton between 1653 and 1670, and was buried there in 1688? Not the son of the Rev. Thomas, as we had thought, but his youngest surviving brother?

Quite possibly. As far as I can see, unlike all his brothers, he does not reappear in the Ludlow parish records.
As the youngest surviving son, there might have been less room for him in the family business, which put more pressure on him to make his own career somewhere else, as our great-grandfathers did in coming to Australia. It means he would have been in his 40s and 50s when he sired his children, which is unusual but not implausible.

At the very least, he has to be a prime suspect.

1618 Daniel Cobage (d.1623)

And the last Cobage entry is in 1625, when the old priest baptises Alice, daughter of William and Joan.
In 1641, the parish buried Alice Colbatch, daughter of William.

I am convinced that Cobage was just Crowther's spelling of Colbatch. It doesn't occur before he arrived, or after he handed over (and in the case of William and Joan, it is pretty clear that Cobage and Colbatch are the same  people).
The pieces of the jigsaw fit together perfectly. I say, lock it in.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 June 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
Tim

Thanks for that..... I will go through slowly in the next few days!

I will send you a PM re the connection. 

Regards

Cheran 8)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 June 16 15:52 BST (UK) »
The Shropshire parish registers are all online at findmypast, including images, and are searchable by location. I say "all online", however, there do seem to be some omissions - the Banns for one of my gt gt ... aunts aren't there, but a visitor to the archives found the entries for me. What I do find useful is the ability to page through the registers as you will find the names of parish clerks and the odd wry observation too on the earlier registers. But also beware: I have found at least two incorrect entries, seemingly caused by births close together to parents of the same surname where the children were entered against the wrong sets of parents! One was later corrected, but not the other.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.