Author Topic: William Shuttleworth - where was he born - Nottingham marriage clue  (Read 886 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Hi

I am researching William Shuttleworth, who was a Boatwright and appears to have travelled around.  He has several children in Leicester before settling in Oakthorpe, Derbyshire.  Sadly he does not make it to the 1851 census although in 1841 he is in Oakthorpe and states not born in county.  He dies in 1843, aged 63 and so his date of birth would be about 1779/1780, the question is where and who were his parents!

I see that he married Millicent Annable at St Mary, Nottingham on 11th December 1797 and wonder whether the marriage details may hold clues to his place of birth.  Can anybody help?

Also, I think that William had a sister Ann Shuttleworth, who was probably born about 1784.  She married a Thomas Stodd (also a Boatwright) in Aston on Trent, Derbyshire in 1807, before settling in Shardlow.  I am not sure what happened to this couple after that although think that I may have found a second marriage for Ann Stodd to a Joseph Taylor, as a widow, in Leicester in 1827.  I have no other clues to the couple's whereabouts - had she made the census that may also have helped with a birthplace for the Shuttleworths!

Any other clues or thoughts welcome.

Regards

TB

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: William Shuttleworth - where was he born - Nottingham marriage clue
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
The only Shuttleworth coming up on NFHS baptisms is
Baptism Blyth- St Mary and St Martin
16-6-1782 Anne dau of Ralph & Maria Shuttleworth
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 May 16 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for checking the baptisms. So it doesn't look likely that Nottinghamshire is the place of birth.

Do you access to any further details on the Nottingham marriage entry to see if that may shed further light?

Regards

TB

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 16 10:40 BST (UK) »
NFHS marriage has only the date Groom, Bride and place of marriage, no other details. Have you looked at

http://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5510720fe937907e5f1bef23?search_id=572db83f33045bcba100051e

There are often no other details on marriage entries.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi TB

I am also searching for Ann Shuttleworth who married Thomas Stodd.  You may remember we swapped information on our lines some years ago

I still haven't found her baptism but have a few theories who here parents were, but it's trying to prove it. 

Have you done any research on the Shuttleworth family who were in Aston.  Charles Shuttleworth was rector of Aston around the time Ann was born.  He was married 3 times, but so far have not been able to connect her to that family.

I did have you email address, but now can't find it.  Maybe it's time to put our heads together again.

Carol

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 June 16 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I have sent you a PM. Hope to hear from you soon.

TB