Author Topic: An Australian Passenger list query - Elizabeth Coil (Coyle)  (Read 7044 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An Australian Passenger list query.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 02:40 BST (UK) »
Residence of W C Brooker, Croydon

Pastor W C BROOKER was a minister of the Queenstown Church of Christ in 1916.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article212932687

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 02:51 BST (UK) »
Carolyn I notice you are online as I post this.  I will mention that I have spent a lot of time trawling through outgoing ships and passengers from Adelaide on TROVE....no GREEN's at all in that period.  So many ships leaving Adelaide in 1910/1911 did not name the passengers.

Cando

Offline forcarolyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 03:18 BST (UK) »
 Thank you. I was in the process of posting a reply to earlier comments but got interrupted. Just saw your comment here re passenger lists...thanks for that. I will have to redo my other reply shortly as I have to complete some work that has just arrived before getting back to my passion.
Thanks again.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 May 16 01:40 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth's mother's headstone - it appears it has broken and been placed on the grave.  Thanks to Kym from deadsearch for this photo.  Wonderful free service to the genealogy community.

Cando

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 May 16 03:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does seem to have some irregularity about that left hand edge.

Great service for that photo.

I feel sure that our OP will be be soon to continue and post the reply she mentioned yesterday.   

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline forcarolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 May 16 02:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information you have added to my query. Wook commitments and a chance to sort through your information and then a piece of additional informaton from the family member who is related to Elizabeth put this all into perspective for me.
The Elizabeth Ann Green (nee Coyle) listed on the NZ BDM is our Elizabeth. The birth date listed on her death certificate is one year and one day out from that listed on her birth certificate. I can understand why now.

William Charles Booker listed earlier by CANDO as W C Brooker was the officiating minister.

Stephen and Sarah Gill and John Benjamin Schofield (married to Sarah's sister Ada - nee Carpenter) were the witnesses. There does not appear to be any family relationship to Sam or Elizabeth but it looks like they may be work mates of Sam.

Thank you again and also thank you for the headstone photo.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 May 16 04:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.

Are we to take it that you have accepted our research as accurate...well as it can be?

One comment....William Charles BROOKER the son of Wm BROOKER, was a furniture manufacturer of Rundle Street in Adelaide and he appeared to officiate at many marriages in private homes and other churches eg Baptist churches as well at attending to his own flock at Queenstown.  He was on the electoral roll with address Port Road, Croydon.  It is also possible that the witnesses were neighbours or friends of Wm C BROOKER.

Cando

Offline forcarolyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 May 16 10:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you. As you say, as much as it can be. I had found some of the same info but discounted it because things didn't add up and then my relative provided some additional information that made things fit together with our/your research. Obviously there are still some gaps/conflicts. Maybe we will never have all the answers. Just a year ago, some of these questions may have been answered but now that avenue has closed. Thank you all again.
Carolyn

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 May 16 10:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you. As you say, as much as it can be. I had found some of the same info but discounted it because things didn't add up and then my relative provided some additional information that made things fit together with our/your research. Obviously there are still some gaps/conflicts. Maybe we will never have all the answers. Just a year ago, some of these questions may have been answered but now that avenue has closed. Thank you all again.
Carolyn

No research can ever be stated to be correct unless primary documents are sighted and then we have people who tell lies not only to the registrars, ministers and family which make research difficult. I spend much time on rootschat attempting to help others validate their family history/stories.

Carolyn where are the gaps or conflicts?

I think we have a few chatters following this thread and they would be interested as I certainly am.

What part of the research had you discounted? 

Elizabeth isn't the birth child of Daniel (Coil/Coyle). Nor will a birth certificate be found for her.

Her father was Joseph COYLE on the her birth registration.  Perhaps she didn't know his given name when asked by the minister for her father's name.  Have you accepted the birth registration for Elizabeth Ann COYLE as your ancestor?  Just a yes or no will be OK.

I'm please your relative suddenly provided additional information otherwise I think you would have discounted much of our research.

I'm still wondering what the S Symbol on the marriage registration indicated.

S. The certificate contains information which may not be published such as:
·   Groom or Brides father is deceased
·   The Mothers name is stated
·   The age is listed in years and months
·   A subsequent divorce is listed
·   Other unusual information is listed

Quite a lot of the information I posted came from my own resources.

Cando