Author Topic: Skene's in Manitoba, Canada  (Read 7190 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Skene's in Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you haven't come across it ....... part of obit for Emma Dorothy Skene.................

Emma Dorothy Skene-  On November 26, 1974, al the Tuxedo Villa Nursing Home, Mrs. Emma Dorothy Skene, aged 74 years, beloved wife of Andrew Skene of 54 Balmoral St., Winnipeg. Surviving her besides her husband, are three daughters, Mrs. "W McC ("M" ) of Winnipeg, Mrs " J C ("P" ) of Halifax, N.S.,

https://newspaperarchive.com/winnipeg-free-press-nov-28-1974-p-51/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline FDH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra

Have just reactivated my newspaperarchive account as Andrew Skene's Obit wasn't on newspapers.com, also found an announcement for his 96th birthday.

Fiona

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have it....

Andrew's complete military file has now been digitized and can be accessed for free at this link. Click on PDF part way down. It will be very very slow to download.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=232485

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline FDH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I do actually have this courtesy of Ancestry  :D

Fiona

Offline Wanda Goulden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Fiona, I received an email that indicated you are reaching out to me.  I posted quite some time ago.  I just scanned several documents and photos for the Skene family:  Great grandfather Alexander Skene, Annie Marr was one of his sisters.  Alexander married Janie (Jennie) Robinson in Manitoba and moved to Kinistino.  I have marriage records, birth records from Aberdeen Scotland and photos, all digital.  I'd be glad to share them with you but need an e-mail address for you.  I have sent you a private message with my email.

Offline Wanda Goulden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Skene, Bellhelvie, 1885 or so:  Tom, Annie Marr, Andy, ?, Robert (father),  Elizabeth (mother), Mary (baby), Dave, Alexander.jpg  (boy second from right is a neighbour)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 08 April 19 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi FDH,

I do know and Andrew Skeene, who I believe lived in Winnipeg Manitoba. He lives elsewhere now. If you send me some info about your Andrew, i can ask him if he is connected and knows any thing about your man.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England