Author Topic: Litcham marriage 1730  (Read 2606 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Litcham marriage 1730
« on: Saturday 07 May 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
On 2 October 1730 William CLARK married Susan BROUGHTON in Litcham
They lived there, had seven children (1731-1745) and died there (1777 and 1783)

I have searched the Litcham register images on familysearch - no Clark or Broughton baptisms from c1680 to 1730.

Using a soundex search on freereg for baptisms in Norfolk 1680 to 1720:
Susanna Braighton baptised 1713 Marham (about 18 miles west of Litcham)

Using a soundex search on freereg for baptisms in Norfolk 1680 to 1720 and narrowing it down to parishes within about 30 miles of Litcham:
William Clark baptised 1698 Beetley
William Clark baptised 1700 Bylaugh
William Clark baptised 1713 Horningtoft

freereg has no burials for William Clark that I can relate to my two candidates.

freereg has a marriage North Elmham 1736 William Clark to Ann Hart.

Beetley, Bylaugh and Horningtoft are all within 5 miles of North Elmam.
Beetley, Bylaugh and Horningtoft are from 5 to 10 miles east of Litcham.

So, I have three questions:
1) Is it reasonable to believe that Susanna Braighton of Marham is the Susan Broughton who married in Litcham?
2) Is there any way I can identify which William Clark married Susan?
3) Can anyone come up with other Susans or Williams which I may have missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Litcham marriage 1730
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
I would say that Susan Broughton could be Susanna Braighton- the names Susan/Susanna seem to be pretty interchangeable in my experience and I've seen far more mangled surname misspellings. But there could easily be another Susan closer to Litcham whose baptismal record has not survived. That's always the problem with "best fit" records.
Equally your William Clark could be one of those you've listed or could be another from further afield who had travelled to Litcham for work.
Are there any clues among the names of the 7 children that might derive from their grandparents' names?
Beetley William has Richard and Mary, Bylaugh is Thomas and Mary while Horningtoft has Willliam/Alice. Susanna also has a father Thomas but no mother's name, sadly.
A Richard or an Alice among the children would be helpful!

Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
For other researchers  the children are
James bap 8 August 1731
Martha bap 9 December 1732
Anne bap 14 June 1734-17 August 1734
Mary bap 25 September 1737-18 February 1738/9
Twins
(Susan bap 30 September 1739- 14 November 1739
(Mary bap 30 September 1739
Susan bap 6 January 1740/1
William bap 23 July 1745.

If they kept to naming patterns James is his father, Martha her mother.
Mary has some significance as it was used again after the death of the first Mary, although Ann was not unless I missed one.
Susan of course is for William's wife
I count 8 children.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your efforts and ideas.

I think until I can conclusively rule out any alternative Susan BROUGHTON baptisms (by checking that every parish in Norfolk has online records and there are no matches) I will have to consider that Susanna BRAIGHTON is "most probable" but not 100% definite.  It is possible (though very unlikely) that she could have been baptised in another county - but in that period people from outside Norfolk did not seem to be moving into rural parishers in Norfolk.

The names of the parents of the potential William CLARKs don't seem conclusive enough to identify one stand-out candidate, so I may have to accept that I won't solve that one.

Philip

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 06:10 BST (UK) »
Susan Braighton of Marham would have been 17 when she married 1730 if baptized in 1713, this would have required permission of her father or guardian and so noted in the marriage entry.

Not every parish in Norfolk is on line, some that are on line have only partial transcriptions.   

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 07:15 BST (UK) »
Susan Braighton of Marham would have been 17 when she married 1730 if baptized in 1713, this would have required permission of her father or guardian and so noted in the marriage entry.

Not every parish in Norfolk is on line, some that are on line have only partial transcriptions.   

And others have quite a bit of wear, damage and stains. I've searched parish records for a record that I know, from other records, must exist, only to find that the bottom of the relevant page is faded or torn or marked "water stains."
What is the condition of the Litcham records and those of the surrounding parishes?

It's a pity there is no James & Martha among the  parents of the Williams and Susanna you've found.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
And others have quite a bit of wear, damage and stains. I've searched parish records for a record that I know, from other records, must exist, only to find that the bottom of the relevant page is faded or torn or marked "water stains."
What is the condition of the Litcham records and those of the surrounding parishes?
It's a pity there is no James & Martha among the  parents of the Williams and Susanna you've found.

The Litcham register (and those for nearby parishes I have seen) are in quite good condition - although I haven't yet checked every parish.
If the baptism and marriage are for the same Susan, and if she was baptised soon after her birth, she would have been under 18 and required permission to marry.  It is possible she lied about her age and married in a parish where neither she nor William (nor anyone of the Clark or Broughton surname) had been baptised.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Age of consent was 21 in the time period you are researching.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
It is possible she lied about her age and married in a parish where neither she nor William (nor anyone of the Clark or Broughton surname) had been baptised.

Have you considered other variations of the names, eg. Brighting/Briton as there was a Susan Briton baptised in Litcham in 1687 (possibly a bit early for your Susan) there was also a Clark baptised there in 1623

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hm5/

yokel