Author Topic: why would some one have a vote in 1747  (Read 974 times)

Offline kitching

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
why would some one have a vote in 1747
« on: Saturday 07 May 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi My ancestor John Tasker, had a vote in 1747 , he lived in Worsbrough , why would this be. I have no idea when or where he was born, but he died in 1755.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: why would some one have a vote in 1747
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 16 18:43 BST (UK) »
he would have had the vote because

1. he was male
2. he was over 21
3. (most importantly) he owned property over a given value

before reforms started in 1832 only about 3% of the male population had the vote

(there were some instances when some women had the vote in municipal elections and agin this was property based)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/history/democracy/changes/revision/1/

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/pathways/citizenship/struggle_democracy/getting_vote.htm
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
he owned property over a given value
Specifically, he would have owned freehold property capable of bringing in at least 40 shillings per year in rent.

Offline kitching

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 May 16 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
John married a Martha Rock 1735, I think she was born 1710 father Abraham,  for years I have chased the wrong Martha.
she died 1742, John then married Sarah Waterhouse, John died 1755 in a pit explosion,  Sarah died 1755 a poor woman of the parish,  so if John had money what about Sarah, and what happens to John, Mary, and Martha from his first marriage,.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 May 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi My ancestor John Tasker, had a vote in 1747 , he lived in Worsbrough , why would this be. I have no idea when or where he was born, but he died in 1755.
     Which was the nearest town, do you know?    What would the constituency name be, please?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline kitching

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 May 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
he lived in what would have been called a Hamlet called Howbrook, but he married at St. Marys , Worsbrough Villages,  which is two miles from Barnsley,  and 10 milesnfrom Sheffield,  but on his marriage bans to Martha Rock, ot states he was from Royston

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 May 16 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
he lived in what would have been called a Hamlet called Howbrook, but he married at St. Marys , Worsbrough Villages,  which is two miles from Barnsley,  and 10 milesnfrom Sheffield,  but on his marriage bans to Martha Rock, ot states he was from Royston

From GenUKI:
"HOWBROOK, a hamlet in the township of Wortley, and parish of Tankersley, liberty of Pontefract; 6 miles SSW. Barnsley."

The parish quoted on the Banns says where he was living at the time the Banns were called.

If he married at Worsborough, that is probably where his bride was from?
"WORSBROUGH, in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; (Worsbrough Hall, the seat of Francis Edmunds, Esq. and Darlay Hall, the seat of William Newman, Esq.); 3 miles S. of Barnsley, 7 from Penistone, 11 from Sheffield. Pop. 1,392. The Church is a perpetual curacy, dedicated to St. Mary, in the deanry of Doncaster, value, p.r. *63. 0s. 6d. Patron, the Rector of Darfield.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline kitching

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 May 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
thank you , so John could be from any of these places,  the pit where John was killed was at Genn Lane Ward Green.
I have searched the local archives for John, I thought he might have been from Castleford, but I have no prove.
The Rock family were mine owners, but John must have been taught to read and write as a child, so what were Johns family.
On Johns death there was no age ,  also on the mine archives there was no age to John  on his death, so how can a man be so difficult to find.