Author Topic: St Davids Roman Catholic Chapel, Bute Terrace, Cardiff  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Davids Roman Catholic Chapel, Bute Terrace, Cardiff
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hereís the church (you can make out the Stanley St street sign).....
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow. Well done. That is sufficient incentive to get hold of 25 inch map.
By the way, how did you find it?
T

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
At the local studies library in Cardiff. Sadly the other photo is too big and I canít make it any smaller.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:42 GMT (UK) »
It came out fine. Sorry to persist with the questions, but how exactly was it catalogued and was there writing on the back etc?
Very exciting for me, as this could be where my great grand parents married in 1859. T.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Do you know they married at St Davidís - i have a listing if that would help? But yes, as I understand it, this was the original church built when a few rooms in David St became too small for the congregation.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes. I have a copy of the ceremony certificate. Thanks for your offer.
I picked up somewhere, but cannot now find out where, that it was built to cope with the big Irish influx to Cardiff following the potato famine. Lots of them were employed building the nearby docks. T

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
A small extract of a map....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I just asked in the local studies section if they had any photos of the church and they found two. Obviously not photos sadly of the time you are really looking for but the best iíve found.

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:08 GMT (UK) »
This gets better & better. Is this from the 25 inch map that I am seeking?
What is the road's name at the bottom of the map?
Thanks, T