Author Topic: Matheson  (Read 3108 times)

Offline BASSA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matheson
« on: Wednesday 11 May 16 23:13 BST (UK) »
Anyone out there whom may be able to assist; 
William Matheson born Rogie Ross Shire Scotland 1783, married Cath McKenzie. Both died Pyramid Cottage 18 George Street Fodderty Dingwall Ross and Cromarty Scotland.

A son William Matheson born 12 June 1801 Fodderty married Barbara Campbell. He died 1876 Pyramid Cottage George Street Fodderty but unable to find burial place.
His son William Matheson married Katherine Drysdale and both are buried Mangatainoka cemetery Pahiatua New Zealand.
Looking for any Matheson's whom may be related or assistance in data about William and Cath Matheson nee McKenzie.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Matheson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
Bassa

Fodderty Cemetery is online, all the stones have been photographed by R&C Roots folks. The shortcut is:

http://gravestones.rosscromartyroots.co.uk/list.asp?field=albums&album=Fodderty&crit=38

If he is not in Fodderty you could try Dingwall.  To change the cemetery select the "albums" tab top let.  Of course there is always a chance he will have no stone.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline BASSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 16 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don,
I have been in contact with Roddie MacPherson whom seems to have good knowledge of cemeteries etc in the area and he was unable to assist.
Really strange as one would think a Burg or Police Officer would have a record somewhere.  A friend whom is a Police researcher in Scotland added he was unable to find them also.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 01:41 BST (UK) »
As I indicated he may not have a stone.

I took a peek at his death registration which states the Cottage was in Dingwall.  So I would contact Dingwall Community Council, ask who is the keeper of the burial books and speak to that person to find out if they have the book that covers 1876 period and see if he is listed.   

As far as a Police Officer is concerned Google Dingwall Police 1860.  The local Library might have some records.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline BASSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don,
Now that is really strange as death documents states Pyramid Cottage 18 George Street Fodderty Ross Shire.
Area confusing as it was known as Dingwall Ross and Cromarty and changed.
I will certainly do as you suggested and thank you so much for help.,

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 17:29 BST (UK) »

I was intending to attach a couple of location plans for the cottage but have fallen foul of Forum rules which say that files over 900KB cannot be sent. As I added some text on to the plans it has made the files that much bigger. If you send me your email address through the PM system, I'll send them direct to you.

Pyramid Cottage was demolished some 30 years ago to make way for a new link road through the town. I tracked down the last occupant and he identified the property.

Cheers.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 18:10 BST (UK) »

I forgot to add that burial records for Dingwall (Mitchell Hill Cemetery) were started in 1891. If you are looking for burials before that time then the local Parish Church, St Clement's, should have been the holder of records and the place of burial for most people in the Dingwall area. When I was seeking burials for my MacLeods, I was told that they do not have such records in their keeping, and nobody in authority seemed to think that any formal records were ever kept! (I cannot accept that the Parish Church would happily plant people without some form of record - if only to avoid the unthinkable?)
I therefore assume that some sort of record WAS kept and they are probably now down in Edinburgh with the NLS.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 18:54 BST (UK) »

I think I have now sorted the problem.

(The extract is from the 1:2500, 2nd edition, O.S. Plan no. 88.03 (Ross and Cromarty), published in 1906. It can be found on the National Library of Scotland website.)

MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline BASSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much.
That is a better plan than my extracted one..
Did you get my email ?