Author Topic: Gregory Ancestry of Brixham, Devon.  (Read 823 times)

Offline gazza1966

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gregory Ancestry of Brixham, Devon.
« on: Thursday 12 May 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I'm trying to trace the blood linage of the Gregory ancestry who originally come from Brixham Devon.

I have been given a family bible dating back to the 1700 century which was dug up from a garden in North Cyprus and our plan is to reunite this with the living family.

It states in a page: Thomas Pile his book August 2nd 1797

Please PM me if you may be related.

Regards.

Gary

McFarling - Quebec, Canada. and St.Helier, Jersey, Channel Is.
Flanagan - Waterford, Clonmel Co.Tipperary Ireland. Belfast N.Ireland.

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gregory Ancestry of Brixham, Devon.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 20 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Gazza1966,

Did you locate someone for this family? It was a while back that you posted this. I am asking as I am stuck on an ancestor William Gregory born ~1800/1 in Cornwall. He married Mary Ellis in Sep 1829 and had his family in Lamerton/Tavistock, Devon. He is grandfather to my Great grandfather who was born in St Helier, Jersey, Channel Island in about 1851/2 (after the 1851 Channel Islands Census). This grandson was John Samuel Gregory. He was 9 years of age on the 1861 CI Census. I found him in Ontario, Canada on the 1871 Canada Census. He was in Australia about 1872 and died there in 1903 in Balmain New South Wales. My paternal grandfather was his youngest child of 3 marriages - two marriages were in Australia - not sure where the other (first) one was.

So you can see that I have not gone back far enough in my Gregory tree to say if this is my family or not but am very interested in maybe getting past my 3 x great grandfather William Gregory. Thanks in advance.

Sue (nee Gregory)
NSW Australia   

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 20 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue.
Can't help directly, although I live close enough to Brixham to take photos if you would like.

If you do facebook you might want to post an enquiry on this page?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/devonfhs/
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 20 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
If I have searched properly John Samuels Father was SAMUEL c 1831.

1841 we have Lamerton
William GRIG 1801
Mary 1806
William 1829
Samuel 1830*
Elizabeth 1833
Mary 1837
Margrett 1830
Jane 1840
James ELLIS 1796

1851 Census
William Grig 52 born North Petherwin, Cornwall
Mary Grig   48
William Grig 21
Mary Ann Grig 14
Margret Grig 12
Jane Grig   10
Susan Grig 8

1861 Census
Lamerton
John Guskett 28
Mary Ann Guskett 23
Elizabeth Guskett 4
William GRIGG   56 Widr Father in Law born North Petherwin, Devon

CornwallOPC has 3 possibles for William GRGORY;
18-Feb 1798 to THOMAS/ELIZTH
26-Aug 1798 base son of ELIZABETH
27-May 1804 to MICHAEL/MARY (may be buried 23 July no age given)

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I had the 1841 & 1851 census as Grig thanks to Annette7 some time back but didn't get any further with William's parents. I have never found the marriage to Mary Ellis in 1829 either but believe it is her brother James with them in 1841. William was buried at Lamerton 13/3/1877 aged 77 I believe - is this where you got he parents' names from?

Do I need to subscribe to something to get images of the births and death/marriage or are they not online anywhere. I would like to get the PDFs from GRO but am getting lost in finding what or how to order. Also death of Mary. There are a few William & Mary Gregorys.
Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 02:54 BST (UK) »

This grandson was John Samuel Gregory. He was 9 years of age on the 1861 CI Census. I found him in Ontario, Canada on the 1871 Canada Census. He was in Australia about 1872 and died there in 1903 in Balmain New South Wales. My paternal grandfather was his youngest child of 3 marriages - two marriages were in Australia - not sure where the other (first) one was.

Sue Polson nee Gregory
NSW Australia     

Hi Sue,
About  the third marriage for John Samuel GREGORY.
On the Ontario census finding, does a wife appear with him?

I can see the two NSW marriages and news items.

Does his death certificate in Balmain in 1903, mention the first marriage?

I can see this topic is really about the Gregory line in UK, and i do not intend to distract you from this, but the Australian end is interesting too.

ALSO, you should remove your email address from your post as it is against the policy of Rootschat.  It may save you from spam and such.  A moderator will likely remove it if you don't ;)

People can make personal contact with you through the Personal Message system.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gregory tree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
No wife on the 1871 Ontario census. He was with the Medland family who were I believe related to the same Medland family on the 1841 Census in Lamberton, Devon. The Medlands lived in the "Village" and the Gregory ('Grig' on 1841/1851 census) family lived on the "Green"-1841. I have tried to find if there was a wedding in Canada but someone in Canada looked it up and said no marriage for him. I thought perhaps his first wife died in Canada if there was a wedding.
A long while back I did find a death of a Mrs J Gregory (maybe even had John) in childbirth I think but I can't find that again - it was in Victoria I think and maybe 1876 but not sure - I'm sure I would have printed it out though but ?? anyway I believe now that this could have been his first marriage but his eldest daughter didn't know of it when informing on his death in 1903. There are sooo many John Gregory's I have some in prison as well in my tree (all possibilities I guess) I don't know how he got to Canada or when - there is a gap between 1861 (CI) and 1871 (Ont. Canada)/1872 Australia then 1881 when he married in NSW  (his wife then was born in Vic and died in 1886). He was in San Francisco in 1887 with his daughter.
Thanks I wondered about the email in my message I will remove it.
Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for answering my queries.

At some stage you might like to post on the Australian board of Rootschat with your mystery about John Samuel. ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
The possible Bapts I posted for William are on the CornwallOPC site.

Parents names would not be on his English death cert.

As he was born c 1800 you would onmly find a Bapt and those are the ones that I found North Petherwin, Cornwall.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)